33s and 4.10s

Mr. Strickland is correct. The Rubicon Dana 44 TruLok carrier is an odd duck with a 'thick' ring gear (no carrier break), hence a smaller 10 tooth pinion on a 41 tooth ring:

Steve

Dave Milne wrote:

Reply to
Steve
4.10 and 4.11 are functional equivelents. That means they are the same ...

Reply to
J Strickland

Exactly. And they are only off that .01 because of the difference in front and rear ring gear diameters. The .01 is insignificant offroad.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

A 4.10 gear set has 41 teeth on the ring and 10 teeth on the pinion, and a 4.11 has 37 and 9. Roughly a 1/4"/rev rolling distance difference with

33s. Close enough.
Reply to
jeff

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
RoyJ

Ok. thanks. Now I know what gears I really have

Patrick ?Ô

Reply to
Patrick Ô¿Ô

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

no, 33 x pi = 103.67" for the circumference. Difference is between 4.11 and 4.10, so multiply that by 0.01/4.11 = 0.25" as Jeff said.

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Hi Bill,

Only the TruLok is Japanese. The gears are genuine Dana Spicer.

I don't think the TruLok is 'crap'. In the past year I logged thousands of road miles and hundreds of trail hours on the one I put in my XJ, sometimes stressing it to the point of snapping ujoints, with no differential problems whatsoever.

I recall you predicted extra leverage on the taller ring gear would cause the carrier to bend or 'crack like an egg' and that the 'bones of the Rubicon will litter the trail' (great imagery). I haven't heard of chronic diff failures in Rubicons. Have you?

Steve

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Steve

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Probably is, war steel was pretty crap.

Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

FWIW, the Jeep engineers said "We tried them all and the Jap one was the only one we couldn't break" n.

Reply to
Nathan Otis

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III