Tires questions

Ok.. I'm having doubts about my upcoming mods. Plan was to go with 33's,

4.88's and subsequently an 8.8 or dana 44. And while I was at it, I should go for an SYE kit...

Wow, that's a lot of money ($2,500 or so). I've been wondering -- just how much better are 33's over, say, 31's of the same tire? I'm not a crawl-every-day type of guy. I get out when I can, which is usually once a month. My TJ is mostly a daily driver. So, I could go with 31's and not regear. Maybe even 32's and go with 4.56's down the road and live with 31's for now.

Would 32x11.50 need 15x8 or could I get away with 15x7? What do you guys think? I'm really leaning towards new tires, no gears (at least until WAY down the road... maybe when I do an engine swap if this thing ever blows up).

Eric

99 TJ SE
Reply to
Eric

I run 4.10s with my 32x11.50s. If you think you may want to go with 33s at some point, then regear to 4.56s, ir you will be good with 32s for the duration, then you can gear to 4.10s or 4.56s. 4.56s _may_ cause you to think you are over-revving at highway speeds. Surely the 4.56s will not work for you with 31s, but they should be fine with the 32s or 33s. They will even work reasonably well with 35s.

I run my 32x11.50s on 15x8s.

Reply to
CRWLR

By the way, I have a 2.5L. I already have 4.10's and 31's (well, they're metrics that equal out to 30.5's). I've already experience power loss on the freeway, but nothing I can't live with (enough engine/exhaust mods to keep it going).

Is there a huge off-road tire performance difference between 31s and 33s? What about 31s and 32s? I've been talking to a guy that just sold his 2.5L TJ that had 4.88s and 33s on it and it still had problems maintaining any sort of decent highway speed. Guess that's the nature of the 4 cyl.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

I won't comment on gearing for different tire sizes other than say that a

2.5L won't turn 'em as well as a larger motor:) But, you already know that and I feel your pain with my 258. I've had 31's, 32's & currently run 33's. In my opinion, the most important piece of the equation is tread selection vice size. (I'm not considering gearing here; only tire vs. tire.) For example, I'd prefer a
Reply to
Drink

That's the way I was leaning. I'm probably going to go with 32s MTs if I buy NEW tires. I found a guy selling used 33s for $100 for the set of 4. They're less than half tread left, but if they don't look bad, I'll go that route and just use them for the trails and keep my ATs for street use.

Reply to
Eric