33s and 4.10s

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Who mentioned c-clips? I just said it was AMC who started using the weaker Dana 35c axle in the YJ Wrangler. Besides, Dana 35c axle shafts held in with c-clips are no weaker than Dana 35c axles without c-clips. It's just that c-clip design will let the axle shaft slide out if a shaft breaks. But both have the same exact axle shaft strength. It was AMC who downsized the axle to the smaller diameter Dana 35c axle shafts and it was Chrysler who reintroduced the rear Dana 44 as an option. AMC didn't even offer a stronger rear axle for the AMC-designed Wrangler like Chrysler does with the Chrysler-Jeep designed Wrangler TJ.

Jerry

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

These two old guys are pretty funny, aren't they?

Note: Lots of manufacturers use the C-clip design, not just Chrysler Corporation in Jeeps. The first time I became aware of it was in a '69 Nova station wagon, with the right rear axle sticking out about a foot into traffic. My three quarter ton Suburban uses it. I have also seen semi-floating axles, with the press-fit sleeve, let go too. Now that is interesting!

I don't think that the 35C is an especially bad design, unless you have the six cylinder engine or take the vehicle off road...

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton