33s and 4.10s

I'm planning to put 33" MTRs on my Rubicon. I love the way that it will idle up a hill with the 31s. Will it still do that with 33s and 4.10s?

Thanks!

-Fred

Reply to
Fred Garvin

I'm pushing 33's thru 4.10's with my 4cyl on my 89 YJ. Flat roads are no problem, large hills slow me down to about 55mph or less. The 6cyl thru

4.10's will fare much better. Which engine do you have?

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

My I-6 pushes my 33s just fine with 4.10s... Like Carl said, it's not the low speeds where you'll notice, it's the high speeds. There's a definate loss of power up there. That said, if you're not a speed demon, you'll be fine. n.

Reply to
Nathan Otis

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

------------------------------------------ My 82 CJ-7 has 33's and a 4.10 rear end. The I-6 crawls fine.

Norman

Reply to
Norman

I've got a '04 Ruby I crawl great with my 33x12.50 on a 10" wheel....

Larry

Reply to
extremetj

Carl, the Rubicon only comes with the 4.0L

Reply to
JimG

Fred, You will notice a power loss. You will also want to re-calibrate your speedometer.

Reply to
JimG

If you check you speedo against a radar you will notice that with 31's you speedo reads about 3 miles and hour faster than you are really going ..... this is my 2nd ruby as I traded the '03 for an '04 for the interest rate. on both Jeeps we found the when you change to a 33 that puts your speedo almost exact. We used a radar from a motorcycle cop. we also use gps for verify the results. You will notice a lost of power running at interstate speeds, but we still car capable of running 90 + on the highway. Good luck.

Larry

Reply to
extremetj

I had 4.10s on my 33's and recently had them changed to 4.56.

the 4.10 are ok but I really like the powerful feel of the 4.56's... tho my top end speed isn't as high as it used to be. Haven't switched my speedo gear out yet from the 4.10s... gotta do that some time soon.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I thought so, but the 4.10's threw me off.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

I have just gone to 33 x 12.50 R 15 BFG MT on 15 x 10 wheels from 31's on 15 x 8's with Dana 44 and 3.73 gears and I-6 and man can I tell the difference. It bogs down way more now. I would like to get new gears but I have got to get the new wheels, tires and 3" lift paid off first.

Tom

Reply to
cantrelm

Rubis come with the 4.0L and 4.10 gears.

Reply to
J Strickland

My Rubi came with 4.11 gears. It is a 2005 Unlimited Rubicon.

Patrick ?Ô

Reply to
Patrick Ô¿Ô
45 teeth on the crownwheel and 11 on the pinion ; so actually 4.090909 etc..

Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

In other words it's false advertising on the part of Jeep.

Patrick ?Ô

Reply to
Patrick Ô¿Ô

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

yes, and now you really are nitpicking.

But for the sake of completeness.

The Dana 44 came with a 4.10 ish ratio of 45/11 or 4.09 The Dana 30 with 41/10 or 4.10 exactly The Dana 35 came with 37/9 or 4.11.

So whatever Jeep advertised the Dana 30/35 combo to be (4.10 I think) they would have been wrong for one axle.

Dave Milne