4.0L wrangler: Replace a manifold myself or have a mechanic do it?

After tracing down the exhaust line an obvious increase in noise, I either have a cracked or a blown gagsket on my 4.0L manifold. With access to a lift is it still a difficult task for a novice mechanic or should I let a mechanic handle it? I see ebay has manifolds from $70 to $130. I'm hearing a dealer would charge around $1300, so I'm looking for an average figure for a local mechanic. What should I expect to pay for a replacement? Thx

Reply to
josh00

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@cox.net:

Very c "This item is currently not available for purchase." and:

"We have plenty in stock ready for next day, second day or three day shipping."

Just another one of those things that make you go "hmmmmmmmm"! ;-)

Reply to
XS11E

It can be an easy job or it can be the worst nightmare you ever want to not see.

Sometimes all the bolts will come out easy and other times, they will all snap off and need to be drilled or machined out.

I never remove an exhaust manifold unless I am planning to remove the head so if they bolts snap, it is going to be off anyway for drilling.

But then I live in the serious rust belt, so your mileage may vary....

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net did pass the time by typing:

It's not hard at all but you should have the service manual for torq specs.

just a slideshow, never did a full writeup. That is the Banks header and it was a (almost) drop in. Almost because I had to massage the motor mount for some clearance.

Stay away from the cheapo manifolds, those are usually re-welded broken manifolds. You can get the OEM price from here

DougW

Just a followup, but if it's only the gasket that's leaking you don't need a new manifold, just remember to clean the mating surfaces and put a thin (smear) of formagasket copper on the head and manifold sides of the new gasket. by thin I mean thin, think about how thick a wax coat is, that thin.

Reply to
DougW

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net proclaimed:

Depending on your year and mileage and state of residence, it may be under emissions warranty.

It is a pita to replace as many of the parts tend to be really heated into place. If you are careful and document the parts you need to pull to get at it, and have a good set of tools to deal with surprises, it is not a technically challenging task. Be prepared to lose a few knuckles and improve your vocabulary.

If yours is not under warranty, you will probably want to go aftermarket...the chrysler units are all, including the alleged ones that correct the design flaws, a piece of crap. Hesco, Banks, Borla, Edelbrock have units.

Reply to
Lon

DougW proclaimed:

With all of the fun and enjoyment involved in pulling an exhaust manifold, it would seem to be a waste of time not to replace the crappy original with a good aftermarket one.

Reply to
Lon

Lon did pass the time by typing:

All depends on the ol wallet.

Reply to
DougW

Josh,

I bought one of those $100 ebay specials, from 1A automotive, Bill had it on his post, the first link. I took it to a local mechanic and have had no trouble with it. I spent around $125.00 (back then) on the manafold and

300.00 for install.

Reply to
Joe

the place here in houston that replaces mine charges me 160 labor.

Reply to
IsellJeeps