How hard is it to replace a head gasket (Z24)??

I'm the guy who posted the other day about my blown engine in my '86 4x4 pickup. The head gasket went and it got driven a while after that. The engine is undoubtably damaged to some extent, but several folks suggested that i at least try just opening things up and putting a new head gasket in there and see what happens, since that's cheap. Frankly, I don't care if it burns some oil; it's a farm truck and is done doing commutes or other major miles. If I could get another 10K miles out of it, that'd be GREAT. That'd be years of what I use it for.

How hard is it to do a head gasket? I have a lot of tools and should have time and weather on my side this summer. I've done a fair amount of shadetree wrenchin' in my day but never been that deep into an engine. I'm guessing you pull the manifolds and throttle body stuff off of there, take off the valve cover, and there are some bolts that bolt the head to the block?

What should I be out there PB-blasting or Liquid-Wrenching ahead of time ?

-jeff

Reply to
Jeff Olsen