Replacing lower oil pan on 2002 Sonata GLS: Can a monkey do it or should I leave it to a mechanic?

At the last oil change I got, the tech told me that the last person who did an oil changed stripped the plug so now there's a temporary plug there, the rubber kind I believe. I found a replacement OE lower pan with plug for $25 and the gasket is $8-10 at my local auto parts store. So can is this a pretty easy drain the oil, unscrew the old pan, remove the gasket, replace with new gasket and new pan and replace oil type of job or should I let someone know knows what they're doing do the job? Although I don't have a lift, it seems simple enough just by looking at it. Anyone done one of these jobs ever?

- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

There usually isn't enough space to remove the oil pan without lifting the engine.

Google "stripped oil drain plug repair" for alternatives.

Reply to
Hank

Looks like the sort of procedure where you will need to get under the car, preferably using a lift.

Reply to
Irwell

I saw a couple self tappers available but I usually go to Jiffy lube or one of the other places and lord knows I'd be right back to where I am now or worse. I'd have my plug fall out from their monkey work and fry my engine due to oil leaking out.

- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

And a lift is something I don't have access to. Thankfully my mechanic does.

- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

This isn't too bad on the V6-- just remove the bolts and pry the old pan off. Install the new pan with RTV-- I don't care what the auto parts place is telling you, the original sealer is RTV.

On the four cylinder, if I recall correctly, you may need to take the exhaust out of the way. Nose around to see if that's so.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Cool. I did get a note from the parts supplier stating that you do not use a gasket but instead the RTV stuff. Saves me another $10. I got the replacement lower pan with plug for only $40 and my mechanic said $40 to replace it. I figure I'm making out pretty good. Thanks kindly.

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf (MVP)