Dana 30 vent tube loose

I just discovered the diff vent tube is loose where it connects to the housing. This is a Dana 30 on an '85 CJ-7. This is the fitting that connects directly to the diff housing. The rubber hose connects to the other end. It's loose in the hole. I don't know if it's just pressed in or sealed in some way. Is there something inside the housing to secure it? Now I have to avoid water until I figure out how to fix it. Would epoxy or silicone be appropriate? Do I need to buy some particular seal? I'm not having any luck web searching or checking the catalogs. Thanks. TrailMarker.

Reply to
carrollcaboodle

It is just a press fit. Mine was loose and I just used some JB weld epoxy on it.

So if you are into water, you should be aware that your transmission does 'not' have a high water vent like the t-case and diffs.

Jeep in their wisdumb decided a stoopid button vent on the shift tower would do.

I pulled the button vent out, also a press fit) and put a piece of steel gas line in the hole to make a hose nipple. It fit tight but I used epoxy just for good measure and ran the hose up by the battery.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@netzero.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks Mike. Epoxy sounds like a good fix. I'll look at my tranny too. I don't often encounter water anywhere near that deep, but better safe than sorry. Thanks for the help. Mark.

Reply to
carrollcaboodle