Advice please 22 or 24 in wheels om a ram 1500

Hello

I want to fit a set of spinners on my 2003 quad cab ram 1500.

I live in the UK so there are no people to ask about the benefits/disadvantages of the 22in and the 24in options.

Could you please advise and also tyre options.

Thanks

Reply to
yar

Damn, I didn't know that the UK had beaners too!

As one who rides bikes I think spinners suck. We watch the rotation of the front wheels rather than the vehicle itself to make sure that it is stopped at an intersection. beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

Not knowing what a beaner is I am not sure if I should be upset or not?.

I also ride a bike as well but normally I can tell if a Dodge Ram is moving or not without looking at the wheels.

Not sure how you look at both front wheel spinners at the same time?

Reply to
ray

Yar, I'm not sure it is practical. The conversion is meant for 2500 and 3500 8 lug trucks. On the intended vehicles, the suspension is quite a bit larger and stronger and they use a 6.5" x 8 lug pattern, not your light duty 5 bolt you have. Secondly, these wheels alone weigh 65 lbs each and are made out of

6061 T6 Aluminum (aluminium to you). The average wall thickness is 3/4" (19mm). The mating tires are about 650 pounds sterling each. They will add a minimum of 3" of vehicle height and will not clear your fender wells without at least a 3" lift kit. In order to get your ball joint angle of incidence to intersect the center of the tire patch, .250" must be machined off the inner bolt face of the wheel. On the rear, the problem is worse, as the tire hits the rear quarter panels. So drastic body modification is required with huge flairs or you narrow the rear axle housing by 6", shorten your axles, remount inboard your spring perches and tub the bed. The increase in unsprung weight will require much heavier shock absorbers (dampers) as well. Even on a 3500 dually you are talking $5,000. You would have to double that, not to mention your gear change would be from 3.55 to effectively a 2.9. If after this, you are still interested, I can give you firms that might take on the job, but the safety issues alone should make a brave man retreat. Steve
Reply to
Steve Lusardi

i hate them things too. reading the wheel is a good indication of what the vehicle is doing/going to do. weither in a vehicle or on a bike.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

My guess as a former rider is that BK is talking about looking at the truck FROM a bike... defensive driving habit to anticipate someone trying to come into your lane and smash you like a bug..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Here in the states the Ram SRT-10 rolls from the factory on 22" rim and

305/40 R22 tires. My 05 Ram SLT 4x4 rolls on 20" rims with 275/60R20 tires (That is 33in from the ground to the top of the tire) With that being said I can put 24" rims on my truck and 315/35R24 tires (That is 32.7in from the ground to the top of my tire) That size of tire in the state will cost me around $590usd each. The cost of 24 inch rims $530usd and on up. Just be on the look out for pot holes as they will bend your rims at high speeds.
Reply to
Jay

Thanks for all the help

Reply to
ray

There are NO advantages to big dia. wheels except they can accommodate bigger brakes. They look lousy, ride,brake & accelerate poorly! Buy a racoon tail if you want to look different, its cheaper.

Reply to
RICHARD