46/47 ? Willy's

My Dad's old flat fender wich is a 46 or a 47 has a bad cam or rod that is makeing noise. The proublem is that it's not the original engine. The hood was bent up in the middle for the carb. Just need to find out if it's a F head or an Lhead . And where can one get new parts for a rebuild. Thanks.

Later Mike

Reply to
Mike chambers

The thing about Jeeps is the 'ease' that pretty much any engine can be put in them....

Maybe you should take a couple photos of the engine and post a link to them or post them over on alt.binaries.pictures.autos.4x4 or a web page so we can take some guesses...

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Typical Mike answer. He is clueless. If you do not know, do not post. It should have the L head 134 "Go Devil" engine when new. It is easy to spot because it is a true flat head. The 134 Hurricane " F" head was a hybrid in that it had one valve in block like a flat head and on in head so it does look different. The "F" head cam out around 50 and was only used in the CJ3B and CJ5 until 71. It was also used in willys wagon during this time and in willys P/U from 50 to 56 and breifly in

  1. The "F" head engine is taller and when swapped in place of a "Go Devil" L head the hood has to be modified. (The hump in the hood means it has a "F" in it) It was a popular swap because the F head added about 12 more HP and about 10 ft libs of torque too. (72 vs 60 HP) . THere was high altitude version of both motors. The "L" came standard with a 6.48 to one and a 7.0 to 1 hi altitude option and the "F" came standard with 6.9 to 1 and 7.4 to 1 in high altitude version. Part for the "F" engine should not be too hard to find since it was used until
  2. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Yep, succinct and helpful.

Mike can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think his point in saying "The thing about Jeeps is the 'ease' that pretty much any engine can be put in them" is that it may have received any number of transplant engines over the years.

Why bother spouting advice if *nobody* knows for sure what kind of engine is in the jeep?

Reply to
Garth Almgren

If I'm not mistaken, the OP said that it's not the original engine so how does this help?

Reply to
griffin

Mike, as Mike Roman pointed out we really need to have a clue what you have before we can help.

A flatie (L Head) and an F head are easy to tell apart.

This is a Studebaker Champion L head engine.

Those were actually fairly popular upgrades in the early Jeeps like yours. They were pretty much a bolt in and the difference in power was dramatic (which says a lot about how weak the original engines were!)

Here is an F head, it looks a lot more like an OHV engine because it was... sort of!

You might also look long and hard at the engine and see what kind of makings you can find on it.

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

A pretty stupid answer really. Guy wanted to know what engine it had and it has a 4 bangers and a modified hood which means it is a 134 "F" motor (the CJ3b was a CJ3A modified to except the taller motor). This is not at all hard to figure out unless you are clueless and in which case you say so and do not give a lame answer like "any engine can be made to fit" . I guess you guys like to here yourselfs "talk". If you would listen more and talk less you might just learn something.

By nobody you mean you and Mike R huh?

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

It helps a lot because there was only two 4 bangers used in it back then (40's thru early 70's) The humped hood on the 46 or 47 willy's means it has had a "F" head engine swapped in because the hood has to be "modified" or "humped" to fit the F in it. CJ3B and later models could fit the "F" head without the hood mod.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Mike R is the clueless one here. The humped hood is the dead giveaway that it has a "F" engine. (it was a popular swap) You would know this if you really knew Jeeps which MIke R does not though he likes to act otherwise. You think long and hard about taking pointers from guys like MIke R thant think the way to realize driveline stress for wrapup in 4x4 on hard surfaces is to burn rubber in reverse. Mike R has one thing that drives him EGO as it shows in his posts and signature.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

  1. How does his signature convey ego?
  2. His posts are not egotistical in any way. People ask questions and Mike is gracious enough to respectfully try and help. Nobody can be expected to be correct 100% of the time and I don't believe he ever conveys this to people. However, I've asked for help numerous times on this group and I think Mike has actually replied to every one of my posts and as far back as I can remember, not once has the advice given to me been bad - in fact, he has bailed me out of numerous problems - problems that would have cost me a fortune at a garage.
  3. Mike's post specifically to the OP did not in anyway even suggest that he was saying he knew the answer right away so how can his advice be incorrect? He actually gave great advice - take some pictures and then people might be able to tell you for certain. He never professed to know the answer however his post was warranted, justified, and would likely lead to an answer from someone else or even himself.
  4. Ego in the non-Freudian noun refers to a person's outward display of arrogant narcissism. I see one individual displaying this, especially in their use of condescension, and it certainly isn't Mike R.
  5. I bow to your elite knowledge of 1940's Jeeps ...obviously this means you are better and more knowledgeable than everyone else out there regarding Jeep questions in general. Perhaps you should work for DC or a museum.
Reply to
griffin

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

I've seen just about as many Pinto engines as CJ-2As:

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Ok, I've got a 1983 CJ7 with a t-999 tranny and d300 transfer case. What motor do you figure I have?

Reply to
T. Greening

While what you say may be fact, the other fact is that unless someone sees a photo of what's under his hood all anyone can say is what engine "may" be under there. So far that is exactly the info snoman has provided, what may or is likely to be there, but by no means what is there for sure. So far Mike has provided the best course of action, show a picture and we can go from there. Anything else is just guessing.

Reply to
T. Greening

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 14:24:25 -0700, "L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III" Amazingly Replied without Prejudice below:

:> The stock CJ-2A flat head was called an "L" engine with both the intake :>and exhaust valves in the block: :>

In 1953 Kaiser raised the hood:>for the CJ-3A and M38A-1 then CJ-5 for their "F" engine which had the intake:>valves in the overhead, while the exhaust remained in the block, which:>raised the intake manifold and carburetor::>
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O:>mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com:>

:>> Later Mike :>>

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III replied in message snipped-for-privacy@cox.net:

Like, you know you've ever sucked a sweater dick than mine? God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
24Bit

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 14:30:39 -0700, "L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III" Amazingly Replied without Prejudice below:

:> I've seen just about as many Pinto engines as CJ-2As: :>

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O:>mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

:>

:>> It helps a lot because there was only two 4 bangers used in it back :>> then (40's thru early 70's) The humped hood on the 46 or 47 willy's :>> means it has had a "F" head engine swapped in because the hood has to :>> be "modified" or "humped" to fit the F in it. CJ3B and later models :>> could fit the "F" head without the hood mod. :>> ----------------- :>> TheSnoMan.com

Yup, now that I don't work for a living, I don't hang around girlies. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

24Bit

griffin proclaimed:

Just ignore the stupid putz and delete anything he posts. He will go away when absolutely none of his postings survive the first few readers. PS. This is not internet abuse, it is doe snot. Ask your friendly news provider for details on dealing with the putzii of the universe.

Reply to
Lon

Well it's either the F head or the L. Just needed to know what to look for on each one. That way when i order a rebuild kit i wont get the wrong one. So to Mike i'll try and get some pic's And thanks for the help to you and snow.

Later Mike

Reply to
Mike chambers

Thanks Jeff. This weekend i'll look it all over . I really think it's the F head after loking at your pic.

Later Mike

Reply to
Mike chambers

Thanks Bill . Yup it's the Fhead. Now i just need to get it pulled and go to work. Thanks

Later Mike

Reply to
Mike chambers