4wd rental in Hawaii?

Can anyone give me any info on 4wd rental on the Big Island? Here is what I have found so far:

They claim to be the only car/ truck rental company that allows rough road use.

Any pointers or advice? I am planning on a 2 week visit next summer with my wife and a minimum of touristy gear. A Wrangler or Libby or similar small SUV would be great. We don't plan on any hard-core stuff

- just nasty roads to beaches and such.

Any links to 4wd roads or destinations on the Big Island?

Thanks. John

John Davies TLCA 14732

'96 Lexus LX450 '00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies

John Davies did pass the time by typing:

From my experience on Oahu (Hickam AFB): Be aware that almost every rental company will deny coverage if you take one of their vehicles off-road. That includes dirt, gravel or areas where they have had lava flows. Make sure before you rent and know the full charges. There are all sorts of crap tax they stuff on the rental agreement.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Well, I understand your warning, but according to their home page Harper's DOES allow off-road or rough road use. And the Big Island travel guide I have been reading also says that...... This is from Harper's website:

"Mauna Kea Summit: Harper Car and Truck Rental is the only vehicle company on the island that allows 4 wheel drive rentals to be driven on Route 200 (the Saddle Road) and up to the top of Mauna Kea, elevation: 13,800 feet!

The Volcano: Access to many remote locations to view various lava flows, caves, etc., and Kalapana Beach, Hawaii's famous black sand beach which was covered by one of the latest lava flows, requires a 4 wheel drive vehicle.

Hunting, Fishing, and Hiking: The Big Island of Hawaii is known for its secluded fishing spots, remote hunting areas, and beautiful hiking trails. Use our 4 wheel drives to get access to Hawaii's unmapped plentiful fishing locations and off-road access points for hunting and hiking.

Bird Watching; Many tour groups and individuals use our 4 wheel drives to venture into remote areas to observe rare birds and animals."

All that sure seems to indicate that they want you to get off the pavement! They even used the "off-road" word.

I have emailed them for rates and additional info. I will post what I learn here.

John

John Davies TLCA 14732

'96 Lexus LX450 '00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies

I wouldn't do 13,800 feet unless you gave yourself a couple days at increasingly higher altitude... Nick

--

"Mauna Kea Summit: Harper Car and Truck Rental is the only vehicle> company on the island that allows 4 wheel drive rentals to be driven> on Route 200 (the Saddle Road) and up to the top of Mauna Kea,> elevation: 13,800 feet!

Reply to
Nick

Sure THEY may allow it...but their insurance company isn't going to pay for damages that you might incur while being off the beaten track!

Which means it falls to your credit card for coverage (of which they don't cover offhighway use) or your personal insurance (ditto...unless specified)....

Not that I haven't done it....but be aware of who's paying what before you go through the tuff stuff!

Reply to
SteveBrady