50,000 to 100,000

So I'm listening to this radio talk guy, a guy who's been a mechanic since a young age. He's telling a caller who is asking advice for her son, asking what school would be good for him since he wants to be a mechanic. This guy recommended a school in Tennesee which he went to and was saying that there is a shortage of mechanics and that top companies would be giving the kid offers of 50k to 100k to start even before he graduated.

Based on what I've heard here before it sounded quite a bit off.

right or wrong?

bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Nope right on, My brother in law was a GM mechanic for 20 years and is now retired. He went to a college some where down state NY. When he left his employment he was bring home 160k per year. Like job if you are good at what you do you can make the big bucks if you are a slacker oh well. A high school friend has been working fore grove crane since he graduated mechanic school some 30 years. He brings in over 200k per year but he travels all over the US and other countries to trouble shoot. My nephew was in the army as a heavy wheeled mechanic (worked on all the big stuff) he now works for International pulling in 85k per year and he is only 27 years old.

HarryS

Reply to
HarryS

Good lord.. That's incredible.

Reply to
William Oliveri

Those are the exceptions... A good mechanic, honest and willing to work a little overtime is good for 40-65K depending on location.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

I know for a fact here in Maryland the top mechanics are pulling 100k+. If you have ever listened to Pat Goss (writes for Motor Week) and probably the top expert mechanic in the USA A 100k for a good mechanic worth their salt is very common.

HarryS

Reply to
HarryS

Reply to
butch

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

A coworker just moved to the Northeast from here in San Antonio. $100,000 house here, $300,000+ there. Similar house, different price. Go figure.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III
100k must be nuts!! It makes absolutely nonsense that a guy (or girl) who basically has no responsibility gets paid anything over 60k a year . When a person with the lives of 500 people in their hands at any given time get paid 35k - 65k annually. Something is seriously wrong out there..

Snow...

- read the "forgotten man'' found on the home page ofthis site.

Snow

It is called supply and demand, Gone are the days of the shad tree mechanic today's mechanics have to be able to read and interpret data streams form the OBC, utilize micro processing equipment for trouble shooting and repairs, and highly technical training if you call that nuts you are living in a cave and should stick your head out once in a while to see what your are missing. The 100k is the average wage through out the USA for a top mechanic not your every day slouch. Remember there are thous who think they are god and there are other that are it is the differance between the is and are.

HarryS

Reply to
HarryS

Reply to
mic canic

In Cupertino, you couldn't buy the Q#$!#@$ post office box on the corner for a lousy $300K. Is rather discouraging what sort of money pit claptrap you'll get for $750K, and they measure square footage around the *outside* of the entire building.

Eric proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon