CJ Fuel seding unit

I bought a new fuel sending unit for my CJ7, 15 gallon steel tank, on the parts computer at NAPA it said "fuel sending unit, does not include strainer", online parts I see they say "does not included strainer", NAPA looked to see if there was a strainer I could get seperate, but there isn't. But original one has a strainer on it, about 3/4"x4", tried pulling it off but no go. Has anyone changed a sending unit in a CJ, did new one have strainer? Is there a way to get old one off and re-use?

Reply to
Greg

You can put an inline filter before the fuel pump if you can't get a strainer for inside the tank. If you do that, don't neglect to replace it at sensible intervals and keep the hoses in good shape. If it plugs up or the hoses go bad you could wind up with a suction side leak.

If the old strainer doesn't just slide off it is probably brazed or soldered in place.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I got mine from the $tealership. I don't remember if I had to buy the sock separate or not, but I for sure have a new sock on it.

I would check your local $tealer to see if they sell the strainer.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

Filters don't really work well on the suction side of those mechanical pumps Earle, that is why they just use a strainer.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

They work fine with periodic maintenance. If one plugs up, well then there are problems elsewhere that the strainer isn't really addressing. They do catch water.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
Greg

Wow. Congratulations on your success. I have bought stuff from Gemini Jeep and the shipping to the U.S. wasn't near that.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton