'79 304 Edelbrock carb problems vs Holley carbs?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Sounds like a good purchase - will order and wait 3 weeks for it to arrive (!).

Got it fitted at the weekend, relatively painlessly. Well, I mean that metaphorically actually, as I cut the hell out of my thumb as I was putting on the valley pan gasket with blood going everywhere and trying to keep it off the RTV. So now the nastier bits of the emissions control are disconnected (the EGR and the air injection stuff). As it is now not really an emssions controlled vehicle, I attached it to the non-timed part of the carb per the instructions, but that gave me 34 degrees BTDC, so plugged it into the timed-port and got a more sensible 10 degrees BTDC. Gas analyser was playing up a bit, so I'll do the tuning next weekend, but even on the default settings, it is pulling way more strongly than it ever did before - can't be far off.

Oh, Edelbrock's instructions in the 2131 manifold state that the Performer

1405 requires a Square bore to Spread bore adapter. Except that both carb and manifold are square bore already, and I hadn't ordered one. Doesn't seem to mention the need for it anywhere else - will drop them a line to check that it is a mistake on their part. Certainly seems to run fine without it.

Dave Milne, Scotland

applications

Reply to
Dave Milne

Dave,

It would be a shame to install less restrictive intake components, without similar changes to the exhaust.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

It sounds like their instructions are generic. The reason I say this is that many of the Performer series manifolds have the spreadbore carb opening, but they have both bolt patterns. Some of the square bore carb flanges will not seal on this type of manifold, hence the reason for the adapter. If your carb and manifold are both square flange, then you definitely don't need the adapter. Glad to hear it is running good for you though.

Chris

Indeed. This was a tactical fix - my LPG system broke (the guys who installed it were clearly idiots, and with the partially disconnected emissions system, the Ford Motorcraft 2bl carb wasn't running right). So, I went back to basics with a simple choke.

How it is running, I guess the next thing is to look at what headers and exhaust are available. Might look at changing the camshaft since I'm about it.

Dave Milne

yes, their email technical support confirmed it wasn't necessary. Pretty impressively fast response actually - couple of hours.

So next weekend, I'll put the gas tester on it. I had a shot at it, but it was late and the start reading in clean air didn't match the end reading in clean air, so I discounted the readings I took.

Reply to
Dave Milne