Holley carbs ...

I've got one on my rebuilt with mods GM 305 . I'm having problems getting it dialed in , not surprising since this is my very first ever Holley . The carb in question is an 1850 600 cfm with center pivot bowls from a 3310 . Stock jetting and metering plate . The motor is a 305 bored .060 over with flat top pistons for about 9.7:1 C/R , Elgin E-922-P cam* , small tube headers and an Edelbrock Performer manifold .

*cam specs are .444 /288°(214 @.050) intake .463/298° (224 @.050) exhaust , lobe centers 107/117 and 112° lobe separation . One problem is getting it to idle properly . I had the idle speed screw in so far the transition ports were halfway uncovered and the idle mix screws had no effect . On the advice of a Motor Trend article I drilled a .093" hole in each of the primary throttle plates , which allowed my to close the throttle enough that the mixture screws now have an effect - but maybe not enough , as I'm only about 1/2 turn open on the mix screws . I'll be pulling it off to see how much of the transition port is uncovered , might need to enlarge those holes a bit or open the secondaries a touch , another suggestion from that MT article . The other problem is that it seems extremely easy to flood the motor . I hit the pedal once and pull the choke partway out (it's like 90° out) , turn it over and it catches then dies . Pump it once more and open the choke a little bit might fire , but it seems to take a lot of cranking to get it lit . The floats are set dry centered in the upside down bowl , I can't keep it running long enough to adjust the level . It was loading up at idle - I think due to unmetered fuel from the transition ports - and spark plugs were carboned up , tailpipe is sooty too . I'll be picking up a new set of plugs next trip to town . Any suggestions at all will be considered , just don't tell me to inject it cuz the wife is already thinking I'm spending too much money on my toy ... doesn't help that I found a rock embedded in the drive belt of my Harley this morning , that's another (transmission/primary drive repairs/replacement) project that's turned into a money pit .
Reply to
Snag

On Jul 12, 2022, Snag wrote (in article <takpmu$24u2l$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me):

I would do what we always used to do in the past which was to take it apart and clean it out, and make sure the jets and floats and springs are working.

Reply to
Bill W