93 Cherokee Sport Window Broken

After rolling my driver side window all the way down, I can't get it to go back up. It goes up very slightly then it seems as if the handle just keeps slipping and makes a grinding type of sound. How difficult is this to repair myself, keeping in mind that I do not have very many tools onhand nor am I a car expert by any means. Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Icculus

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure what you mean by "release the crank." I can get it to go up very slightly, but then it starts to slip. It had been a lingering problem which could be solved by pushing the crank in while slowly turning it, but that isn't working this time. I normally just never roll the window down all the way, but today I did accidentally, and now it's really stuck.

Reply to
Icculus

You will have to open up the door panel so you can see what is going on.

It might be something just as simple as being off the window track.

Reply to
billy ray

There could be a spring clip between the crank and the panel. There is a special tool for this, (see Bill's PDF file) or you can pop it out with a screwdriver or a hook.

The gear inside the handle is the likely stripped point and the handles are cheap to replace. You put the clip on the handle before installing it and it just pushes into place with a snap.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
Will Honea