83 GW power steering gear leaking

Hi My 83 GW (360 V8) power steering gear just started leaking badly and all the fluid is gone. Does anyone have any likely leak spots to look for? The leak looks like it is coming out of the gear box somewhere. Hoses are ok. Thanks Fred

Reply to
Fred

A common spot for leaks on the steering box would be the pitman shaft seal but I would locate the leak before replacing parts.

Reply to
Mike

You have a virtually unchanged Saginaw, as used, at least back in the '63 Chevy:

Kit or Box:
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@billhughes.com

Reply to
L.W.(Bill)Hughes III

leak found!

As it turned out...

  1. There has been a small seepage of coolant from the lower radiator hose for a few years now since I replaced the radiator. Just a drops now and then.
  2. This is seems would drip down onto the metal shaft of the high pressure power steering hose where it goes into the steering gear.
  3. This created rust or something which weakened the metal at that spot.
  4. Eventually the high pressure made a little hole which is squirting out in a fine little stream with the pump going. A beautiful thing.
  5. It means nothing is wrong other than replacing the high pressure hose! Thanks to all for your help. Bill...I saved away your file. It is more or less identical to my Jeep shop manual here! Fred
Reply to
Fred