86 cj7 speedo and carb question?

You need to find out how far off it 'really' is.

I bought an 86 with 31's on it and when I went to 33's the spedo became accurate with my GPS on many tests. Have no idea what spedo gear was in there.

You can just buy new gears for the tranny end of the spedo cable.

Emissions removed, oh oh....

Some of the 'emissions' stuff like the charcoal canister are needed. That is the air vent for the gas tank and carb float bowl. If it was removed and the lines blocked, then a vacuum will build up in the gas tank and float bowl and it will bog down big time and even act like it is running out of gas sometimes.

If you remove the emissions and don't kill the computer, it will go into 'limp home mode' and clamp down on the timing and carb mixture so it runs like a bag of dirt.

It is easy to kill the computer, I just add two new wires and hook the orange and purple wires at the ignition module way down under the washer bottle to the orange and purple at the distributor.

You then need to reset the timing, it will have jumped and set the carb mix up manually.

Here is a link on it:

Once the computer is dead, try high octane gas. I get an extra 100 miles per tank on high test vs regular 87 octane and a serious power boost.

My owners manual even recommends high test if running loaded or hard and hot.

If it doesn't idle smooth, there are fixes for that, that canister for one. A kit for that carb is only twenty bucks or so too.

Oh with 32" tires, forget 5th gear or overdrive unless it has been regeared. I 'can' run in overdrive on the highway, but my revs are too low so it sucks gas and is boggy. If I stay in 4th at 2300 rpm, I get

19 US mpg highway with tons of power.

Mike

Jet wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I just bought a 86 cj7 off a friend and was wondering if anyone could help me out here? the jeep has 32" tire on it and I'm pretty sure it has the stock gears in it and the speedometer is not accurate. how can I correct this? also all the emissions has been removed and the carb just seems to be lame. anyone have any recommendations for and after market carb? the 258 motor was just rebuilt to stock specs and it does not have header or any other mods. carmine

Reply to
Jet