TFI or HEI ignition upgrade for a 258 cj7?

I have been looking on the internet about up grading my ignition on my 86 cj7 with a 258 and found upgrades for the gm HEI and the ford TFI ignition. it seems like the TFI is an easier swap and has more power. does anyone know the pros and cons to doing one or the other. carmine

Reply to
Jet

I did the TFI on my AMC 360 in my Grand Wagoneer and it made a world of difference. I believe you can make the conversion for less than $100, including the new plugs and wires. You can gap your plugs to .040 to .045. I recommend it. The only issue you may have is mounting the square coil. I modified my coil mount with a hack saw and it works perfectly.

Reply to
TJim

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I did TFI on my CJ-8. There is some more power and it runs much more smoothly. But you still have to rely on that fender mounted brain. I'm thinking of switching to HEI just to clean up the engine bay. You can google for the thread - use TFI, *jeep*, and Clap Trap.

Reply to
Clap Trap