86 XJ motor replacement

What engine options do I have when it comes to decicing what to put in my newly aquired 86 XJ. It now has the 2.5 4 cyl. Manual trans. Is it a difficult swap? Also does anyone know what the cost of factory service manuals might cost for this vehicle? Many thanks in advance!!

Greg

86 XJ 95 YJ 06 ZJ
Reply to
jerryg

What are the smog requirements where you live? The easiest swap is always a carbed motor and an auto trans. SBC is the most common, but very tight in an XJ. You might be able to do a 4.2L carbed or something.

Whats wrong with the 2.5L?

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Just like something with more umph I guess. Its a dog compared to my YJ.

Greg

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@j27g2000cwj.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
jerryg

Just curious if the 2.5L was running or not. Probably a chev v6 with an auto would be the easiest. The chev 4.3L v6 is a pretty stout motor.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@j27g2000cwj.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
The Merg

Yea it runs fine. Maybe Ill get used to it. But it is a dog :( Factory manuals expensive?

Greg

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

quoted text -

Reply to
jerryg

All XJ's are tight. I think the 84-86 was even tighter because they were running the 2.5L AMC I4 base motor or the 'upgrade' was a 2.8L v6 chev piece of garbage motor. When the 4.0 was introduced with the Renix system in '87, I belive they stretched the compartment to accomdate.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Thanks for the in sight guys! Have a good night.

Greg

$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org...

Reply to
jerryg

Reply to
The Merg

The 4.3L is a great motor. It's basically a SBC minus two cylinders. A lot of power for a v6 and decent economy. Cheap to buy, fix, and run.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

4.0/4.2 inline 6 won't it - they extended the nose and changed the firewall in 87 to get the 4.0 in. The tranny is too light to take one anyhow.
Reply to
Will Honea

Have you considered just regearing the differentials?

Reply to
billy ray

A 2.5 liter standard shift is likely to have 4.10/4.11 differentials already. The cost of gearing even further down is pretty high, unless you can set up a ring and pinion on your own. Nothing you do, short of an engine transplant, is going to result in passing cars on the freeway unless the other drivers politely let you do it. The factory manual is like $100, if you can even still get them from the factory. Remember this was an AMC rig when first sold, and now DaimlerChrysler's responsibility. The vehicle should have a throttle body fuel injection system, and be pretty darn economical for an SUV. You can tell yourself that you are saving the environment and stuff like that.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

The only thing that swaps in easily is the 3.4L V6. Everything else would require cutting the firewall sheetmetal to make it fit.

Given how cheap XJs are these days you'd be better off just getting another one with the right engine instead. By the time you swap the engine, trans, transfer case and driveshafts (along with their mounts) you'd be well past the price of another XJ.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

The service manual for the 88 is available here:

It is for an 88 in both PDF and zip format with the wiring for the 88 at the bottom of the page.

I would suspect the 88 and 86 are close....

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > What engine options do I have when it comes to decicing what to put in
Reply to
Mike Romain