86XJ auto to Manual

I have an 86XJ 2.8 with an auto. I just accquired an 86 XJ w/2.5 5spd. The

2.8 is fresh but the tranny is pretty much a goner. The 2.5 XJ is all but gone also. Just about the only thing usable is the running gear. I would like to swap my auto for the 5 spd. Is there anything I need to be aware of before I start this project? Any differences in the bell housings?

thanks chris

Reply to
gosling1

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

They're completely different. There's no easy way to put the 2.5L trans on a 2.8L engine. If all that's broken on the 2.8 is the trans then look seriously at the cost of getting it fixed instead. Adapting the arguably crappy trans that was used on the 2.5 would undoubtedly be more expensive than just fixing the 2.8's tranny, if not replacing it outright with a rebuilt one.

Reply to
wkearney99

You have two options as I see it.

  1. Get another auto for the 2.8
  2. Get a match and burn them both.

The 2.5 isn't a bad engine (if it's not baffed) but it's coupled to a bad transmission. The 2.8 is a bad engine coupled to an okay transmission (if it's not baffed). There are lots of mix and match adapters available but you would be fiscally wise to find a used 2.8 auto and keep your fingers crossed. If you're thinking a 4.2 or 4L swap, you'd be further ahead to just go buy a 91+ XJ and use your 2.8 for body parts.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

You need to find out what tranny the 2.5 has. They did use the Borg Warner T-5 in some early Cherokee's according to my book. This is the 'World Class' one they use in Mustang V-8's and the same one as in my 86 CJ7, so the age is right for it to have it. The so called 'weak' trannies came later.

That setup would be worth finding a bell housing adapter for I would think. You would likely have to fuss with driveshafts too, not sure but that isn't too expensive.

Mike

gosl>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Looks like I'll just have that one rebuilt.

I already use a 90 4.0 XJ to beat the snot out of on the weekends and I have two others for parts. And now this 2.5XJ will be sent to the parts section to be parted out.

Now if I can just keep from aquiring them and get the ones I have running! :-D

It was worth a shot.

Thanks everyone,

chris

Reply to
gosling1

It would be easier and cheaper to swap the motors.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

A 3.4L crate motor is basically a drop-in replacement. You have to change the flywheel but that's about it. I know, my 2.8L was replaced with a 3.4L.

Reply to
wkearney99