M-151 Mutt / Jeep

Here's one for you Bill

William Oliveri

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Tell us Bill, what is titanium on the Mutt?

And, is the engine really manufactured by RR or even a RR design?? I always thought it was a Ford. I have worked on actual Rolls Royce engines and the four cylinder Mutt engine just never even looked like Rolls Royce. In fact I don't think any US military vehicle ever used a RR engine.

Reply to
Ted

LOL! The 151's we had were Fords! We always said they had Pinto engines, but don't know if that was true or just general griping!

Paul B. SP-5, USAR, 1971-77

Reply to
PLB49

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

It's obvious you jointed a _lot_ in the military.

Reply to
Ted

Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK getting cut up with a torch is exactly what happened to most of the 151s, I've seen a few that were welded back togeather again. For Titanium they were damn rusty-

Don't ever recall ever seeing one burning JP4 insted of gasoline though- :).

From

I quote -

"In 1960 quantity production of the M151 started at Ford's Highland Park factory in Michigan. The engine was the Ford L142 - a 4-cylinder

2,320 cc. unit delivering 72 bhp. at 4,000 rpm. - but the steel bodies were built by Fruehauf. "

Howard.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

Bill's got a tendency to correct you if you're right...

;-)

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Looks like a Stromberg or SU.

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

This page (and others) says that the M151 used one or two engines, either a Continental license-built by Ford or a militarized Hercules Industrial.

  1. The M151 Page

Other sources also say that the bodies were built by a variety of makers, including Fruehauf and Budd.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Appears to be the dashpot cap of the sewer valve SU's, but seems a bit short unless the photo is from an unobviously bad angle. Hitachi-Solex would be another guess, but they were tall much like the unlamented SU.

PS. Wonder how much a Unisyn and SU Tool is worth on eBay?

Dave Milne proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Its a Zenith apparently...

Reply to
Dave Milne

That sure looks like a Stromberg to me. Same one they used on the Volvo's.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

That Austin is sweet. Triple SU's, man those must have been a riot to sync up. LOL! I played with lots of dual SU and Stromberg systems and they were a hoot. Got good enough the boys were bringing me the 6 packs to sync.

The SU has a taller pot >

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to