Holy Crap! Up to $165 in parts...

And I'm doing the tune up myself! Now, I get my parts at wholesale, so I can't even imagine what dealer prices are!

The only plugs I can get for my Supra are $9 each, a total of 6. That's $54, just for plugs. The price was the same everywhere, but the dealer can't get them 'til Tuesday (Hey, that'd be a good name for a band!) OK, I lie. I could have used NGK Copper for $400 to have a dealer do this!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Out of curiosity, why are you removing the intake manifold to do a tune up? Was it leaking at the gasket? I never had to strip off the intake to do a tune on my Cressida, worst case was to remove the throttle body to pull off the rocker covers to check the cams. Everything else is out in the open and should easy to get to.

Reply to
Nicholas Bourne

You've convinced me a never want the difficult to maintain Supra.

Reply to
who

On this car, the intake plenum is on the driver's side (LHD) and the air box is on the passenger's side! They ran tubing along the right side of the engine, and then used an aluminum tube to cross over the top of the engine and connect to the plenum!

Check this out:

This gives you an idea of what you have to do to get to the plugs!

Reply to
Hach

I have the "Sport Roof" model, a "Targa Top". It only come out in late spring and gets driven until October/November.

Yeah, some things are a bit difficult to maintain, but it's 70 degrees and sunny today, and driving in the middle of winter with the roof off would sure be a hoot!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Man, they changed that so much. The 5M and 6M-GE I had im my cressida was a over the engine intake but I could change the plugs without removing anything but the intake pipe, which was just a clamp at either end.

If you don't what to do this every time get the turbo manifold it has the throttle body at the frount, but you will have to redo the rest of the piping though.

Reply to
Nicholas Bourne

I'd install a 5-speed first!

I gave away an '85 Celica GTS in September that had W58 in it, in real good shape (The tranny). Couldn't find a bell housing! So, today someone is selling a Supra tranny with a starting bid of $10. Even if the tranny is blown, bell housings are selling for $50!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Throttle body needs to be cleaned at that time anyway.

Ya, some of the parts are great like the distributor caps that last 100,000+ miles. But something like the 12 washers for the head cover screws that 'You' need always get me bent out of shape when I see what they cost.

Reply to
Danny G.

always get me

Washers?

I was going to replace them with SS bolts...

Reply to
Hachiroku