87 YJ again....

Well Jeep people, My 87 YJ 4cyl. is hitting me again!!!! I can drive it once per day and as long as I leave it running it is fine but, as soon as i get to where I'm going and shut it off, restarting it isn't bad but it doesn't idle as good and it dosen't have the same power it had. Lots of coughing and spitting, a backfire here and there like it's having trouble getting a constant flow of fuel. Help me!!!!

Reply to
Boog44

Start with plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor. If this doesn't fix it then you are looking at the fuel pump or filter. This is a throttle body type of fuel injection, isn't it?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton
87YJ is carbuerated, not FI.
Reply to
reconair

I thought the four-banger was injected. I could be wrong. My 87 YJ has a 258 (as did my 73 Cherokee and 78 CJ)

Reply to
Steve Foley

All the four banger AMC engines are fuel injected in the YJ. In 1991 they went from throttle body to MPI. The six bangers went from carburetor to MPI in 1990. I am not sure of the exact manufacturing dates. Service and replacement procedures are going to be different for the OP's throttle body FI than for the later model, more common MPI.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

yes boys it is a Throttle Body....plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter all replaced a month ago

Reply to
Boog44

Watch the engine while it is running in the dark. I have caught spark leaks like this before. Another more painful method is to run your hands over the spark plug wires and distributor with it running. You could also check the plugs for evidence of fouling.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Right you are. My mistake. I conveniently overlooked the 4 banger part.

Scott

Reply to
reconair

Many people do, but when you have them race balanced, install a wild cam, override the rev limiter, and install double injectors you can get a lot of power out of them. (I wish.)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

EGR valve sticking open?

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

I would definately check/ replace your O2 sensor. This would give you the sporadic symptoms and in an 87 you probably have 150,000+ miles anyway...so its time to replace. Good Luck

Adam

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...

Reply to
adam