88 Cherokee steering column

I have a tilt column in a 88 cherokee with a problem with the gearshift/ign interlock in the coupling just above the end the column end of the cable. It appears to be loose in the collar just above the ball socket joint of the cable. I'd love to see an illustration of this before I tackle it, but barring that have any of you had one apart before. There's a small square hole in the side of this lower column that looks as if something snaps into it from the inside. Does everything come apart from the wheel end? Thanks for your help. Steve

Reply to
Steve G

I just had mine apart the other day to tighen up the torx bolts that loosen up and cause play in the column, it was like a playing that old kids game "Operation", some many little parts and very easy to screw up. But alas I have to take it apart again in the future as I broke the disc that actuates the horn, but I need to go to a "Pick Your Part" place to get the parts and it is too damn cold here right now for that.

This page has some great info and pictures and will apply to your column.... mine is an 87 YJ but I assume the column will be the same on your machine. (This page refers to an 87 EL Camino and it was almost exactly like mine internally.)

Do yourself a favor if you take it apart and take the extra time to dig deep and get at those torx bolts and locktite them >I have a tilt column in a 88 cherokee with a problem with the gearshift/ign

Reply to
Jeepster

Reply to
Jeepster