Steering Shaft/Column Removal?

I have a 1972 Super Beetle. I want to remove the steering shaft (between the u-joint and the steering wheel). I've loosened the u-joint. I've removed the steering wheel support. But, there seems to be a rubber seal at the u-joint end. How do I remove the shaft? Do I simply pull really hard? Or, is there something constraining the shaft behind the rubber seal? Thanks for any tips.

Reply to
js1

Remove the clamping bolt at the U-Joint completely, not just loosen.

Remove the 2 bolts holding the column bracket underneath the dash. Disconnect the wires/plugs for the column switches. Don't forget to remove the windshield washer hoses. And, if the washer reservoir is pressurized, you'll have a flood.

Then, pull the entire column with steering shaft out. It may be easier to leave the steering wheel on. There is a rubber seal/boot at the bottom where it goes thru the firewall which may resist a bit.

Check the U-Joints very carefully while you have this out. Hi-mileage cars almost always have worn out joints which can fail at the worst time...

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

The entire column should come out? The shaft came right out, but the column (welded to the bracket with two bolts as you described) did not come out.

In the pictures above, the u-joint end is to the left of the picture, and the steering wheel end is to the right of the picture.

Can you verify that the shaft I pulled out of my 72 Super is the proper shaft? The reason I ask is because the shaft I pulled out is a 22mm shaft (not measuring the collars). The ball bearing that supports it (right behind the steering wheel) has an ID of 24mm. That's 1mm on the radius slop. This doesn't seem right since the ball bearing is designed to support a shaft radially.

Thanks for any insight.

Reply to
js1

Nevermind, I pulled harder and the column came out...

Reply to
js1

I found the other 1mm. I somehow lost the ribbed sleeve that slide over the bearing surface. I took the steering column out of a junked car and noticed I was missing it.

Reply to
js1