Will 88 900 turbo parts work in an 86?

I've got an 86 Turbo 900 3dr. The turbo doesn't work, but the car runs fine. The driver's window was smashed and the radio ripped out last week. I need to replace the dash, windsheild wiper switch and turn signal switch. I found an 88 900 turbo parts car. is it worth buying? (cheap) and using the parts? Aside from the cosmetic stuff, I'd want to take the Turbo out of the 88 and drop it in the 86. Is any of this possible, or does anyone know of a Junker 86 in the NYC area? thanks Harry

Reply to
Harry Rosenblum

Most parts will fit. The brakes probably won't (probably because 88/89 is the changeover year). Is your car 16V? Is the other car 16V?

Reply to
Grunff

The only complicating deal is that the 88 has a water cooled turbo. The turbo will bolt up and the oil lines bolt up just fine. There is no water port on the 86 head, though. The good news is that you can run the

88 turbo w/o the water lines hooked up. If you save these parts (lower hose, steel water return line, head and water feed hose and head; you can convert the whole thing over to water cooled when you replace the head gasket. If the turbo is tight on the parts car, I'd get it for sure.

KeithG

Harry Rosenblum wrote:

Reply to
KeithG

Volvo offered a kit to retrofit older 240's to water cooled turbo, I see no reason why this same kit couldn't be used on a Saab, it simply splices into the radiator hoses.

Reply to
James Sweet