engine conversion

HEY im new here and i had a question ive got a 98 wrangler and i was wondering do you guys think i could fit a cevy vortec i-6 4200 in there cause i was reading up on those things and there prety cool for a 4.2L

6 cyl. maybe somone knows from experience any input would help thanks :)
Reply to
kingernie

kingernie proclaimed:

yeah you cud do that and drive around with a rilly kul jep butt b4 u do perhaps you might want to do a bit of research and if u hav the 4.0 six banngger maybe see whut happns if you drop in a 4.2 crank from the older

6 and maybe bigger pistons and make a 4.7 stroker out of it and then mabe add a blower and go out hunting mucking fustangs.
Reply to
Lon

Anything is possible with enough money and skill, but some things just aren't worth doing.

If the Jeep has the 4.0 it's already got a better engine than that Vortec, and as Lon pointed out there are things you can do to them to make the Jeep a LOT faster.

No matter WHAT engine your putting in an engine swap is a big deal, you have to deal with motor mounts, bell housing/transmission issues, cooling, exhaust, linkages, electrical stuff, brackets ...if you haven't done it you have NO idea what you are getting into. Plus it's a 98 so you are probably going to have to deal with the emissions equipment too.

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

It would be a LOT cheaper to add power to the 4.0... (if you have a 4 banger maybe it's worth looking into) but the 4.0 with super or turbo charging is going to give you WAY more bang for the buck. Stroking the

4.0 is going to give even more, especially if you add power on top of that.

If you're still not deterred or just a Chevy fan (My condolences, good luck with that) then Advanced Adapters will have the bell housing's motor mounts, T-case adapters etc. that you'll need...

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Does the 4cly use the same transmission/drive train as the 4.0? If it does it would be MUCH easier to convert to a 4.0 than putting in a SOB* engine, if he could get a parts Jeep and just swap the parts over it would be almost easy.

(*SOB = Some Other Brand)

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

I think all the respondents are missing some key points here...

  1. Chevy doesn't make a 4.2L I-6. The Vortec motor is a 4.3L v-6.
  2. Yes, adding power to the 4.0 WOULD be cheaper, but clearly the O.P. isn't interested in that.
  3. Based soley on lack of the lack of effort in punctuation, grammar, spelling, and comprehension displayed by the OP, I doubt they could even find the oil cap.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Manual AX5 tranny with the 4cyl is pretty weak, he'd need to swap that out too.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Incorrect: the 4.2 I6 is standard in the Trailblazer and other GM applications. Introduced in 2003, I think.

Agreed on both points.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I stand corrected on the 4.2L. I doubt the OP will revisit this post.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

It's the George Foreman approach - you find a good name and stick with it.

their >>father is. He has 10 children, all 5 sons are named George Edward Foreman and one >>daughter is Georgetta.

Reply to
matthewf_boi

Carl proclaimed:

Or maybe you didn't check your facts before posting. GM website, Wikipedia, any Trailblazer web site, or just google on vortec i-6.

The vortec is a series of engine families. One of which is the 4.2 I-6 in the Atlas family of engines. Used in the Trailblazer amongst others.

The OP as quoted below doesn't seem to be saying any such thing. They asked if they could fit a vortec I-6 in there. The concensus answer so far is "yes, but you'd get way more power with a stroker or otherwise hopped up 4.0"

Well, at least *they* knew the vortec series of engines DOES include inline six variants. As opposed to, say.....

Reply to
Lon

I wouldn't blame anyone for not knowing there was a 4.2 I6 Chevy engine. Honestly, how many people in this forum keep track of the available engines in a Chevy Trailblazer? I don't, and I probably would have said the same thing regarding the 4.3 engine. The 4.3 seems to be much more widely used than the 4.2... at least in applications folks on this forum would be more apt to have knowledge of, i.e. the Silverado, base models of which run the 4.3 Vortec. Regardless, I don't foresee a 4.2 Vortec going in the OP's Jeep any time soon.

Reply to
Micah

I doubt anyone here would "see" it, even if he did make the swap.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Interesting observation that GM not many years ago switched to an inline 6, when DC is going away from it.... (now all chevy needs to do is make the Trailblazer a ragtop)....Hmmm....

Reply to
Rich