89 cherokee TCU

Anyone know how to get the TCU out from under the dash? I have been having a shifting problem, that happens once or twice a week. I get stuck in first after a long warmup or driving on the highway. I have found that If I pull the TCU fuse I can shift manually. I see 5 volts on the lead going to the TPS + (pin A on TPS connector) to a common gnd. I see about 4.5 volts between TPS + and TPS gnd. (between pin a nd D on TPS connector) About .5 volts between TPS gnd and common gnd. Is this normal or could I have a bad ground on the TCU. Thanks

Jim

Reply to
downhill101

L.W.(ßill)

Something is screwy with your readings maybe?....

With the throttle closed and the key in run/engine off, you should see a little higher than 200 ma or 0.02V from one side to the center (ground I think). With wide open throttle it should rise to close to 4.8V.

Your TPS should have a double output I think. The other side and center should read opposite to the above, that side controls the tranny.

These readings are taken with the TPS plugged in and the plug back probed with the meter.

Do you have any kind of radio transmitter in the vehicle? The TCU is known to go insane from RF interference if any of the power or antenna leads are close to it.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain