4.0L Upgrade Questions

Hey All,

I have an '89 YJ with a 2.5L engine, and I am looking to upgrade to the 4.0L. I know you need to upgrade more than just the engine to do this. I found a 4.0L engine, transmission, transfer case, wiring harness, and computer from a '98 TJ for $1600. The engine has about

35K on it. Is this a good deal?

-Brent Bogrees '89 Jeep Wrangler YJ 2.5L TBI ? 33x10.5 BFG MT's '94 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L ? 31x10.5 BFG AT's

Brent Bogrees

L.W.(ßill)

That's way too much for it, what's his phone number.

Reply to
Greg

On 10 Dec 2003 09:40 AM, Brent Bogrees posted the following:

Why was it removed from the '98? If it was wrecked, I would find out where and how hard the Jeep was hit, and inspect the parts carefully for damage before buying. Be aware that there may be internal damage from the force of the impact.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Maybe the owner swapped in a Chevy 350, NV4500, and Atlas II. :).

Terry.

Reply to
Terry Jeffrey

That would be cool, assuming he didn't beat the snot out of it while it was in the Jeep (cause it didn't make enough power). My brother got an '01 4.0 with nv3550 and harness with 1500 miles on them that way, when some guy bought a Jeep and almost immediately had a 350 with automatic swapped in.

On 10 Dec 2003 06:36 PM, Terry Jeffrey posted the following:

Reply to
Del Rawlins

Haah!

Reply to
Clem

Enough power for what? The 4.0 (with 135,000 miles) pulled a 5000 pound camper (more than that... it was full of stuff) in my Cherokee for about 35 miles. Of course, it was beating the snot out of it too.

Reply to
Clem

Just thought I'd give everyone an update..

I figured $1600 was more than I wanted to pay for the engine, tranny, and t.case.. and the more I read, the more I was convinced that I needed a complete donor Jeep to do the swap anyway.

As luck may have it, one day later I found a '98 Cherokee about 15 miles outside Columbus. The Jeep was wrecked in a ditch with most of the damage on the passenger side toward the rear. The engine sounded great and there didn't seem to be any problems with the drivetrain.

bought the Jeep for $1000, which has to be great deal. Next weekendI'll start the swap.. should be fun

-Brent Bogrees '89 Jeep Wrangler YJ 2.5L (soon to be 4.0L) 33x10.5 BFG MT's '94 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L 31x10.5 BFG AT's

Brent Bogrees

On 13 Dec 2003 12:56 PM, Brent Bogrees posted the following:

That sounds like an outstanding deal. How many miles were on the Cherokee? If the mileage is kinda high, you might consider rebuilding the engine and "oh by the way" converting it to a 4.5L stroker:

8^)

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Sounds good! Have fun with the swap. Does the Cherokee come with the NP231 or NP242 t-case?

I used to live in Belpre, OH a few moons ago and remember that drive to Columbus well.

Don't get shot at on the way home...

Terry.

I bought the Jeep for $1000, which has to be great deal. Next weekend> I'll start the swap.. should be fun>

Reply to
Terry Jeffrey

I am very stoked about the swap! It will be a good winter project. I am actually working on the Jeep by Stockport, which isn't too far from Belpre. I also make many frequent stops in Marietta for parts, cool town.

Here is the '98 XJ info..

Engine: 4.0L MPI Transmission: AW4 (Auto) Transfer Case: NP231 (Command-Trac) Axle Gearing: 3.55 Miles on Eng: 157K

The miles are a bit high, but you wouldn't know it from how well it runs. My '89 Wrangler has the NP231 t.case as well.. would the driveshaft from an '89 YJ NP231 fit into a '98 XJ NP231? The only differences in the NP231's is the input shaft being 21 or 23 spline.. but this shouldn't be an issue regarding the driveshaft right?

-Brent Bogrees '89 Jeep Wrangler YJ 2.5L (soon to be 4.0L) 33x10.5 BFG MT's '94 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L 31x10.5 BFG AT's

Brent Bogrees

As far as I know, sounds like the driveshaft should bolt right up. Have fun.

Terry.

92YJ

Reply to
Terry Jeffrey