89 YJ 4.2 Timming question.

The emissions control sticker under the hood is missing. Can someone tell me what the baseline timing is? It's something at 1600 rpm but I can't find that info. Also, any tips on adjusting timing for maximum fuel efficiency?

Thanks

Poe

Reply to
Poe

For my '88 it says 9 degrees at 1600 RPM.

Right now I can't seem to get mine to run very good at that though. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reply to
rjmax

You need to make sure the advance plate is moving freely. Most folks don't know that they need to oil the pad under the rotor with every tune up to keep the sleeve and advance springs moving nice.

You should be able to grab the rotor and make it move easily with a spring loaded return action.

If any of the computer sensors or carb stepper motor are not working or are disconnected, the computer will go into 'limp home' mode and clamp down on the timing which makes it run boggy.

Mike

rjmax wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks, Mike. Does 9 Deg adv at 1600 soung right though?

Reply to
Poe

Yes, that is what the sticker says to set it at with the computer running things.

I find on older engines, up or down a degree or two can make a bit of difference in smooth idle and acceleration.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks