89 Yj Cuts off

Hello all,my 1989 jeep wrangler sahara 4.2 randomly cuts off,has for years,so it stays in garage,in past 1000 miles,or one year,i have tuned up,replaced fuel pump,new carb,distributor pickup..86k miles.Took it to the dealer last jan,they kept it for a month,ran every test they could,and only come back with trash in fuel line,and carb out of adjustment.and it ran ok,for a couple weeks,right back to square one.and fuel filter it new and turned the right way..thanks for any help,and when it cuts off it may not start again till the next day.,thanks shane

Reply to
ShnAndrsn

A bad ignition module can act like that. So can a dead ground connection to the body.

Mike

ShnAndrsn wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

If it was me ... when it stops working ... I'd first check for a spark. Pull a plug, connect the high tension, touch plug to block, have someone crank it over, watch for a spark ... and if none, then troubleshoot the electrical from there back. And when I used to do that, I'd just pull the high tension, hold the hot end in one hand, touch metal with the other ... and have someone crank it over ... yyyeeeeppp ... wwweeee gggoott aaa sssppparkkk :-).

weeks,right

Reply to
bowgus

I checked out the page on the D-35 and have had that darn "ear worm" in my head for the last 24 hours. "you picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel" AAAAARRRRGGGHHHH Dave Shannon '01 TJ

Reply to
Dave Shannon

I'll second Mike's thought on the Ignition Module. I used to have an 87 YJ and it did this stuff, cutting out and sometimes just not starting. I finally replaced the module for about $65 and the problem went away. Mine was located in the wheel well of all places - took a long time to find it. Hoping this helps, Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Thanks mike,ordered a ignition module today,will be here tommorow,where would this ground connection be located.? thanks again

Reply to
ShnAndrsn

thank you.will try that.

Reply to
ShnAndrsn

The body ground is either from the battery to the firewall or from the rear of the head to the firewall.

Mike

ShnAndrsn wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

mike,got myignition module today,i cant figure where it goes to replace.got my manual out and it doesnt show location either,it says,passenger area,then says passenger firewall,what i bought it a square box with wires,i seen nothing that resemmbles it.

Reply to
ShnAndrsn

Look in the wheel well, I mean on the underside of it. If I am remembering correctly, that is where mine was. Might have been topside, but I don't think so. It is a really odd place. Either way it is bolted to the wheel well metal. Tomes

replace.got my

Reply to
Tomes

Reply to