89YJ auto 4.2L weber and nutter done

OK, we did the following: weber conversion, nutter bypass, new rad and hoses, new vac hoses. new hall effect pickup in the dist, new thermost vac switch and it idles GREAT, idles like no tomorrow, starts right up. Problem is that as soon as you put it into gear it shuts off. We traced it down to the neutral safety switch and jumpered it so that it now runs but from the diagrams we have in the chiltons I just have one questions 'HOW THE HECK does that NSS affect it when going into D/R/L My guess is the switch is bad unless there is some kind of relay involved somewhere. Any suggestions ??? Hate to just throw a NSS if not needed, any way to test it other than the jumper I did ?? And tonight the directionals stopped working, sheesh

TIA

RichP

Reply to
Rich Pierson

Here is a diagram of how to test the switch on the auto transmission...

Use an ohmmeter to check continuity between each terminal in different shifter positions. From the electric plans in the Mitchell manual the Park/Neutral switch should only prevent the starter from turning, it's connected to a starter Relay cutting off the path between the the ignition switch and the starter solenoid.

The transmission seems to be sending other signals as you will see for other shifter positions (R-D-2-1), but I'm not sure where these signals end up. I could not locate these signals via the wiring diagrams of the MCU for the

4.2L nor the ECU of the 2.5L. I'll keep checking if I find where they go or maybe someone else has the service manual and could find out, the Mitchell doesn't indicate anything!

Nelson

89YJ

Reply to
Nelson

Thanks, I'll look it over but that switch terminal does not look anything like the one we have. The one on mine is flat and wide and only uses 3 or 4 wires. It might be different inside but I'll find out when I drop the pan. Need to helicoil one of the corners thats stripped out and missing a bolt. Even the snap-on shopkey does not have anything in it for this. One of the things we are curious about is the two relays next to the battery and what they do and if they are involved somehow. Might just pickup two new relays along with the NSS. Heck with all the new stuff I've put in it the past 3 weeks I might as well. For sure I need to clean out those sockets judging by the look of all the dirt around them even though the contacts looked pretty clean. This is the first auto I've ever really delt with, I've always owned manuals my whole life cept for a 75/76 dodge van I bought way long ago.

"Nelson" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Reply to
Rich Pierson

Reply to