Radio trouble

Hi ALL

My name is Veronicca and I am new to this group. Basically I am having some difficulties and could use some help.

First I think my horn relay is bad. The horn works in alarm mode but I hear the relay click when I hit the horn button... Where is the horn relay located in the car? I cant get a manual for my car cuz they are on back order...

Now the 2nd thing is the radio. Ok I was debugging the gas flapper cuz it wouldnt open sometimes...turned out to be the switch and I fixed it. Well I prev to that I was fumbling around in the fuse panel trying to figuer out if it was a bad fuse with my volt ohm meter and they all checked out except I puck locked my radio- got a code 1000 ok now me being someone who is used to convetions- standards and what not had no idea! SO I called vw who took out my radio gave me the code and unlocked it for free. Trouble is my radio doesnt shut down when I pull the key and it shuts down in 1 hour. NOw that to me is a tad anoying and I would like to put it back to the defaults. BUt how? nothing in any of the manuals that I have read has any information on this and thus its been a bug hunt on the net HELP!

Third... Ok this is a big one... THe fuse ledgen on my vw makes no sence to me. I dont know or understand what could be the problem but to me it doesnt seem to jive. I know electronics and I have read a lot of schematics and diagrams and the panel to me doesnt seem to jive. Ok so not knowing if I have put some fuses in incorrectly I filled the missing holes with 15 am fuses...this doesnt hurt anything but I would like to put it back to its defaults too. any ideas?

Please I could use some help here cuz Im buggin(pun intended)

Also found out from a mechanic friend that these bugs need to run synthetic oil cuz reg oil clogs up the oil pick up...He told me that a lady brought her audi in and its engine needed a rebuild after she had been running reg oil. He said that its very important to switch to synthetic oil right away! I did so. It cost nearly $60 for my oild change but it will go longer between changes.

Last- just changed the passenger side head lamp- low beam...WHat a pain in the *&^ I went to orieli and to auto zone- neither had the bulb ok so the 2000 beetle uses the h1 55 and the h1 60 bulbs for hi and low beem. the 60 is hi beam. Ok they say you dont need tools to change it out but I would say that is wrong.Getting the unit out was easy once you figuered it out. Just slide the lever up and push they back of the assembly out and pull off the back cover. I had to use a flat blade to lift the tab up a little cuz I have weak little girl fingers... basically I sat on the couch and did swap out and it was easy once we figuered it out.( my girl friend and I ) but you cant touch the bulb cuz they will fry if you do- cuz of the moisture on the bulb. I wont explain alot about the dynamics of that- just take my word dont touch... ok got em in - connected the power wire, slid the houseing back into the track and moved the lever down and it is locked in place your done... pretty easy. NOt conventional though. (but then I have had my battles with head lights before like the fiero lights not popping up...fixed those. took a good 2 hours in the garage to do it . I should have documented that cuz it was really a weird fix. But thanks to Rodney Dickmans fieros -;parts and headlight motor rebuild kit it was a snap!)

pretty much bugs are weird but I plan to learn more about them...They guide for the newbeetle I found at autozone was lame. and I am looking for a more in depth manual...My self I want to be able to pull the axels if I have to or even change the clutch cuz I used to work on my cars when I was a teenager so I figuer I can learn to work on transverse mounted stuff too. MY fiero was sept it was rear engine.

here is a link to photos of my bug

By the way the gas flapper fix cost me about $28 for the switch - pretty easy to put in too...

thanks for the help guys

VML

Reply to
under_clocker

All questions about your car can be answered at

, a website specifically for New Bugs.

I do seem to remember that this might be the default setting for factory radios in modern VWs.

There's also a New Beetle Club in your area:

Virtually all Euro cars are like that and have been for decades. One is not supposed to touch the glass body of the bulb because one would leave sweaty, sticky fingerprints on it. Just use a Kleenex :)

Really? Was removing the headlight unit necessary? I think you're just supposed to take out the bulb, not the entire headlight assembly.

I can recommend the Bentley manual. It's 80 bucks though.

also have owner's manuals.

Wish I could have helped more, but I'm more familiar with Golfs/Rabbits, currently driven mad by a Scirocco.

Re "why's that damn light blinking?" né

Reply to
René

Replies within;

Are you sure that you don't have a separate horn for the alarm? You could unplug the relay and jump the proper wires or install another relay, or test the relay.

Do you hear the "Door Open" buzzer when you open up the driver's door even with the key out of the ignition? I am thinking maybe the ign. switch is defective. Some vehicles have a recall on this.

Take a picture of the fuse box of another NB and hope that fusebox has not been tampered with. lol Or have someone with a like NB take a picture for you. ;-) Some of the repair manuals (even Bentley) don't seem to indicate what sizes the fuses are nor does it have a simple diagram of just the fuse box.

So it is the 1.8t engine? Does it take the larger diesel oil filter also?

snip

Bentley is the best, but sometimes the cheaper Haynes etc. will make interesting reading. ;-)

Reply to
One out of many daves

Here's the fuse map for the Jetta - maybe it's the same, or maybe this will help you decode the little pictures - stupid system!

MKIV FUSE LIST

  1. Washer nozzle heaters, glove compartment light, memory seat control module (10A).
  2. Turn signal lights (10A).
  3. Fog light relay, instrument panel light dimmer switch (5A).
  4. License plate light (5A).
  5. Comfort system, cruise control, Climatronic, A/C, heated seat control modules, automatic day/night interior mirror, control module for multi-function steering wheel, control unit in steering wheel (7.5A).
  6. Central locking system (5A).
  7. Back-up lights, speedometer vehicle speed sensor (VSS) (10A).
  8. Open
  9. Anti-lock brake system (ABS) (5A).
  10. Engine control module (ECM): gasoline engine (10A); diesel engine, Model Year 2000 > (5A).
  11. Instrument cluster, shift lock solenoid (5A).
  12. Data Link Connector (DLC) power supply (7.5A).
  13. Brake tail lights (10A).
  14. Interior lights, central locking system (10A).
  15. Instrument cluster, transmission control module (TCM) (5A).
  16. A/C clutch, after-run coolant pump (10A).
  17. Open.
  18. Headlight high beam, right (10A).
  19. Headlight high beam, left (10A).
  20. Headlight low beam, right (15A).
  21. Headlight low beam, left (15A).
  22. Parking lights right, side marker right (5A).
  23. Parking lights left, side marker left (5A).
  24. Windshield and rear window washer pump, windshield wiper motor (20A).
  25. Fresh air blower, Climatronic, A/C (25A).
  26. Rear window defogger (25A).
  27. Motor for rear windshield wiper (15A).
  28. Fuel pump (FP) (15A).
  29. Engine control module (ECM) gasoline engine (15A); diesel engine (10A).
  30. Power sunroof control module (20A).
  31. Transmission control module (TCM) (20A).
  32. Injectors: gasoline engine (10A); diesel engine (15A).
  33. Headlight washer system (20A).
  34. Engine control elements (10A).
  35. 12 V power outlet (in luggage compartment) (30A).
  36. Fog lights (15A).
  37. Terminal (86S) on radio, Instrument cluster (10A).
  38. Central locking system (with power windows), luggage compartment light, remote/fuel tank door, motor to unlock rear lid (15A).
  39. Emergency flashers (15A).
  40. Dual tone horn (20A).
  41. Cigarette lighter (15A).
  42. Radio (25A).
  43. Engine control elements (10A).
  44. Heated seats (15A).

Fuse arangements in fuse bracket/battery:

S162. Glow plugs (coolant) (50A). S163. Fuel pump (FP) relay/glow plug relay (50A). S164. Coolant fan control (FC) control module/coolant fan (40A). S176. Relays panel interior (110A). S177. Generator (GEN) (90 Amp.) (110A). Generator (GEN) (120 Amp.) (150A). S178. ABS (hydraulic pump) (30A). S179. ABS (30A). S180. Coolant fan (30A).

Hope this helps!

Dan

Reply to
Dan Hannah