9", 28 0r 31 spl. ?

Aside from pulling an axle out, is there anyway to tell a 28 spline ford

9" from a 31? Was going to get my daughter a detroit for Xmas, since she has sent back the 2nd lockright, we've given up on them, but I don't know how to tell 28 from 31, and it's pretty hard to say, Do you mind if I keep your jeep for a while so I can pull out an axle? And still keep it a suprise. When I pulled this rear end out of a car with my brother-in-law, he said it was a 31 spline, but when he redid gears for us, he didn't use the 3rd member from the thunderbird we took it out of, he used one from a van, so now I'm not sure if any of it, including 31 spline axles are still there, or if those got swapped too.
Reply to
Greg

I don't think you can tell from the outside. If the 3rd Member is from a van, I'd expect it to be the stouter 31-spline type. But, that's just a guess ...

The assumption I use in making that guess is that the van will have a heavier payload than the Tbird, therefore a stronger axle. If you remember the year of the van, you may be able to dial in on the spline count from a parts manual.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Don't know anything about the Econoline it came out of, 69 T bird housing and 78 econoline 3rd member.

Reply to
Greg

"early half ton trucks got the 28 spline axles and carriers, while sometime in the early 70?s the switch was made to mostly 31 spline axles and carriers for most trucks" :

Almost certainly a 31 spline, but there's only one way to know for sure.

Steve

Greg wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Thanks for all replies, just heard back from my brother-in-law, 31 spline. And we deffinately know how easy it is to pull the axles out. We install in her YJ, but lockright locker was no good, last one block, out it came, back in without locker, then when new lockright came, back out again, in with locker, that one last a week, out it came again, back in without locker, my daughter's getting to be a pro at removing this 3rd member.

Reply to
Greg

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III