Need help! 4cyl 97 TJ.... Tire Choice 31" or 33"

Currently my rig (if I can call it a rig) is a 97 TJ 4cyl. It is pretty much stock... no aftermarket gears, diff, axles, or anything. I have just recently put a 4" superlift suspension lift on it. I currently have BFG 31"x10.5s on it (they have been on there since i got it).

I would like to put BFG 33"x10.5s on it. Now I don't do any serious offroading or mudding or rock climbing--at the most maybe a simple/ easy trail ride 2-3 times a year. This is pretty much a daily driver. I would mainly be putting the tires on for looks, with ground clearance as a second reason.

Anyone have any experience with a similar setup? I am curious as to how much this different tire size will affect my speed/power... I am willing to sacrifice a little for the looks, but being only a 4cyl, I would like some input before I go out and buy the tires.

Thanks

Jimmy

Reply to
jmastrom

it will be a serious differnce on road use.. it will bog it down quite a bit.. do you have a 5 spd or auto..??

Reply to
Jeeper

I have a 5spd

Reply to
jmastrom

It will seriously rob power... your 5th gear will become useless except for down hill. Your speedometer will require a different gear to compensate. Your stock gear ratio is 4.10s. To get back close to original power you will have to go to at least 4.88 (which is the most you can do in a D35 I think).

Reply to
JimG

Terrible. Not to take away from this thread, but I'm curious - I have a 4.0 6cyl and I'm running stock 30" and no lift. In all honesty how bad will it be when I lift 3.5 " and slap 33's on there?

Reply to
Thoth1126

This depends on your cruising speed, driving habits and existing axle ratio. If you find now that fifth is a bit too much and fourth is not enough, then you may find that fourth is just right, and fifth is useless after the change. There are like three common axle ratios, I think, so it would be hard to answer in general. If you use it off road then the existence of low range may keep things sane. After you change the tires try it out on that hair-raising descent where you always needed first gear low. ;^)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I can speak from experience on your setup, but it depends on your stock gearing. When I got my TJ (4.0L 5-speed) it had the 33's and the original gearing of 3.73. 5th gear was pretty much worthless for any incline. Spent allot of time in 4th gear on the highways. It wasn't long till I changed to the 4.56 gears and got the proper speedo gear. A few months ago my son bought a YJ (4.0L 5-speed) with 33's and stock gears of 3.07. Not only was his 5th gear useless but his 4th was sorry also. On any incline he has to go all the way to 3rd to maintain speed. We are in the process of switching out his axles from a donor 4 cylinder YJ (4.11 gears).

Reply to
JimG

Ok... well... if I am hearing everyone correctly... 33"s with my setup would be bad, unless I get new gears? How much can I expect to pay to upgrade my jeep to new gears. Should I even go this route or just wait until I have a 4.0L jeep later on in life.

Reply to
jmastrom

Keep in mind in addition to the gear change, you will also need to lift it a bit to clear the 33's, and you only gain 1" of clearance under the axles with the 33's vs. the 31's.

So figure $300+ per axle for the gear change, 500+ for a minimum 3 inch suspention lift (3 inch body lifts are way more trouble than they are worth, and look stupid to boot), plus the new wheels and tires (new wheels because

12.5" wide tires on the stock wheels will contact the upper spring perches).

Or slap a set of 31's on and be done with it, use the money you saved from not lifting to get a winch, so when you do get stuck you can still get out.

Which should you do? Hey man, it's your money! :-)

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I'm running 33'" on my 87YJ with 2.5. It's not the fastest in the dunes and mud it's alright. But for daily driving and once a month trail runs I'm pleased with it. every one i run with have CJ7's with V's . They over heat all the time and i never do.They also have trailer there's.Mine Does need a gear change. Just been lazy. But one thing is sure you wont need 5th gear.

Later Mike

Reply to
Mike chambers

I drove a 4cyl YJ on 33's with 4.10 gearing (stock 4cyl gearing) and it was fine. Hills were a bit of a problem, and forget about 5th gear but overall, it was fine.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Matt, read the OP's opener.... he already has the 4" superlift. He has already gone down the road, partially. And $300 per axle would be an exceptional deal unless you're talking about installing them yourself.

My estimate each axle: gears $150 install kit $60 labor $200-$250

Jim

Reply to
JimG

Well, since you have already invested in the lift... get the 33's and see how it does. Stick with 10.50's for a bit less weight. Drive it as long as you can stand it, then do the gears. I estimate $900 to have the gears done. Add another $400 or so for a limited slip in the rear while your at it.

Jim

Reply to
JimG

You already have the "good" stock gear ratio (4.11/4.10) with that four cylinder, so 33s won't be that bad, except for losing fifth gear. If you really want the look from the 33s, then go for it.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Didn't see that. Brain fart.

I'm going by memory from when I had mine changed, now that I think of it it was around $900 for both axles...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

depends on a lot of things, driving style, gear ratio, etc.

I ran a 6cy with a manual, stock 3.73's and 33's for quite a few years. I wouldnt call 5th gear useless, but...I used it less than I did than when I had the 30's on.

33's and 4.56's did great. which went downhill again when I went to 35's.

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

Thanks so much for everyone's input! I really appreciate it.

I think I will go ahead and get the 33"s. I already have BFG

31"x10.5's and I plan to get BFG 33"x10.5's... so I will not have to purchase new wheels, and I already have the lift. The concensus is that I can probably tolerate the "loss in power" for a while at least until I can get my gears upgraded... so I guess I will try it.

Also, being a 97 tj, my fender flares are very very faded. I am considering doing something to the fenders to "rejuvenate them." I think I will try to take them off an get them rhino-lined or line- x'ed. I think it would be a different/cool look. I figured it would be a cheaper alternative to some bushwackers. Anyone have any other "custom" stuff they have done to their fender flares that has turned out good??

Thanks,

Jimmy

Reply to
jmastrom

Reply to
RoyJ

Go to a hardware store and find a few cans of Black spray paint for plastic. I did mine a few years back and they still look good. Try Ace or True Value. Or one of the Box stores.

Later Mike

Reply to
Mike chambers

Krylon makes a spray paint specific for plastic.

Reply to
billy ray