opinions on gearing

Daughter has a 95 YJ, 2.5 L engine, 4.10 gears now and 31"s, we just picked up a ford 9" to replace her D 35, brother-in-law who is a ford master machanic and aside from building up his own Bronco and then F150, does swaps for people all the time. Anyway he has suggested 4.56 gears for her, she's going to 33" BFGs, he'll be putting a detroit in it for her also, but I was just wondering what everyone thinks about the gearing. By the way, got the rear end from pic-your-part in Calgary Alberta, boxing week sale, $19.00 plus $10.00 core charge for any axle. Trannys were 29.00 and engines were 49.00, you could build a car for 500 bucks I bet.

Reply to
Greg

Gearing sounds good to me... should be close to her 31's with 4.10's anyway

if you want to calculate it). But, your

*daughter* is go> Daughter has a 95 YJ, 2.5 L engine, 4.10 gears now and 31"s, we just
Reply to
David C. Moller

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Acually we live on the west coast, just in alberta for Xmas, he's going to get it all ready for her and send it out on the bus.

Reply to
Greg
4.56s will work out fine.

I used to run 4.56s with 33s" (and a Ford 9 rearend w/ Detroit) for several years in my YJ. It's a good combo IMO. But your daughter may not like the road handling characteristics of the Detroit -- my wife will not drive mine on the road now (but that is fine with me :)). Plus, be careful in the icy stuff with the Detroit rear. My YJ has dual Detroit lockers and we are in Montana - just make sure your daughter remembers what she is driving and what to expect from the Detroit, especially when it gets slick. Drive slow and cautiously!!

Good luck. Terry.

Reply to
Terry Jeffrey

Don't forget to consider what I like to call the "forgotten ratio" , 4.27's

Reply to
Bob Ackley

Though I always recommend 4.56 gears for 33" tires on a 4.0L equipped Jeep, I would go to 4.88 for 33" tires for a 2.5L equipped Jeep instead. There's just not enough difference between 4.11 and 4.56 to justify the $1200 or so cost to regear on his 2.5L Wrangler.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

what about with the factory auto?

Reply to
Nathan Collier

True. He could always easily step up to 35s too in the future with those

4.88s. But, then again, that might be pushing it with the 2.5L.

Of course being a family member, Greg's brother-in-law should give him a nice big discount on the labor cost!

Terry.

Reply to
Terry Jeffrey

Automatics generally take one or two steps higher on their ratio choice but that depends on if the auto is a 3-speed without overdrive or a 4 speed with overdrive.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

There will be no labour cost, and although there isn't a great jump from

4.10 4.56, the 9" we are putting in has to have new gears anyway, so it is only the front that is extra cost.
Reply to
Greg

I wish I had done that, myself. I went from 4.11 to 4.56, mainly because, at the time, people were advising against the 4.88 for the D35 due to strength problems. In retrospect, I should have gone with 4.88. 31s with

4.56 are only slightly better than stock tires with 4.11.
Reply to
TJim