90 Jeep XJ selectrac

I have a few q's about the selectrac on this xj I recently bought...

I notice on the transfer case lever that you have to pass through part time

4x4 before hitting full time 4x4... I'm gonna guess that I can do that while moving up to 55mph kinda like shifting on my 01 TJ? As long as I'm going in a straight line that is, cuz the part time 4x4 doesn't differentiate between turning? I dont' have the owners manual for this thing, sorry.

Also, I know on Subaru WRX's there's a center differential, a viscous coupler, that plays referee between front and rear drives. Does the Selectrac have a diff like this or some other monster? I have no idea. I'm preparing to change all fluids in this thing as well as filters, and whatever else may need upkeep at 147000 miles, and was wondering if there's a center diff that needs fluid changing.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

Selectrac has a center differential, for use in full time four wheel drive, but no viscous coupler. It is part of the transfer case.

Full time four wheel drive is useful on slippery road surfaces where part time four wheel drive might not be appropriate. It can improve handling, but it can also lead to a false sense of confidence. Just because you can drive that fast, doesn't mean you can stop from that speed.

You can probably shift the transfer case as you say, but be aware that each setting implies different vehicle handling characteristics. I would recommend trying this on a gravel road, before on an ice-covered, rainy, slippery paved surface.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Troy,

Yes you have to momentarily be in part-time 4WD on your way to full-time. As long as you are traveling in a straight line you will have no problems.

On mine I have not noticed any changes in handling etc during the moments the switch required.

You should plan to replacing all the fluids, filters, belts, and hoses.

Be sure to use the proper fluids some brands, acceptable in the past, are no longer acceptable in DC vehicles including your '90 XJ

It would also be advisable to get a build sheet from your local Jeep dealership PARTS department or via the Jeep Web Site. You will need your vehicle VIN number.

billy ray