90 XJ auto tranny stuck

I just put an ad in the paper to sell the thing, its been sitting still for a month, and ran perfectly fine last time I drove it.

I drove it down the street a short distance to swap out the tires and it would not shift outta 2 gear to get to 3rd. When I'm driving it and I move it to the 1-2 gear range it will slow down so it must be stuck in 2nd and can't get up to 3rd.

I saw on here another person had a similar problem but his was stuck in high gear, this one is stuck in low gear. Turned out he had a solenoid problem. Before I go out there to start checking things out, is there anything else I should be checking? I brushed up the TPS sensor's connections already and it didn't help.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

Try,

Where are you located? I'm looking for an XJ.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Jacksonville, Florida. From what I remember of the frappr google map of all of us, there's not too many of ya'll close to me. And unfortunately this particular XJ came from NY so theres rust all over the bottom. But hey if you want it I can hold it for ya. Its 4x4 with part time and full time 4wd.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

Troy,

Living in Spokane, WA, I could not be much further away from you and still be in the US mainland.

As for the problem, how does the fluid look and smell?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Heh, ya you wouldn't be popping by to check it out anytime soon.

Fluid looks good and I can't really smell anything wrong with it. I checked the level while cold and hot since it had both settings on the dipstick.

I have a dog that likes to lay under the cars when its hot, is there anything he could have chewed on under there to make a problem? I doubt he did though cuz its all covered with oil under there.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

If it starts in and stays in 2nd gear, unless shifted manually, I think that's a sign of no power to the TCM. Somewhere on the WWW there's a very good write up on trouble shooting it.

Reply to
Jo Bo

I'm guessing that TCM means transmission control module, the one under the dash? I will check that out today. Thanks for the direction

Troy

Reply to
Troy

Reply to