91 Wrangler failed emissions

I agree that a working EGR doesn't hurt, and might even increase engine life, but the part about not actually needing it to pass emissions makes it a scam as far as the tree hugging enviro-Nazi crowd is concerned. The same thing can be said for the big afterburner (A.I.R. pump) they used to use. It looked real convincing and even used real horsepower and a belt to drive it, but as far as doing your part to clean up the environment...

OP's vehicle failed for excessive CO and NO. He also complains of poor gas mileage. Suspect number one has to be ignition parts, and vehicle manufacturers made them the easiest things to replace. Someone mentioned California would subsidize repairs to the tune of $300. Save that for the big ticket item, like a new cat if indicated. If you really can get that money, don't blow it on "induction system service".

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

L.W.(ßill)Hughes III

EGR reduces the formation of NOx. It can also slightly increase fuel mileage. Using it to increase fuel mileage, even when it's not needed for emissions makes it a scam? Your logic escapes me.

"They used to use". It's still in use, and it still works. The difference in emissions on a vehicle with a properly working air injection system, and without one is big. Easily seen with an exhaust analyzer.

CO is caused by the combustion of hydrocarbons without enough oxygen. NOx is caused by high combustion temps. HC is unburned fuel.

With the exception of the wrong spark plugs (which could cause higher combustion temps), malfunctioning ignition parts are not going to increase CO or NOx. Poor ignition will cause less fuel to burn (lower CO) lower combustion temps (lower NOx), and more unburned fuel (higher HC). BTW, while it didn't fail for HC, the numbers are high as well.

I would start with concentrating on what could cause a rich condition. A lazy O2 sensor could cause an increase in NOx as well as CO problems. The cat would affect all emissions, but replacing it without making sure everything else is working isn't a good idea.

I don't know what their "induction system service" consists of, but it could help if it removes carbon buildup from the combustion chamber. I wouldn't start there though.

Reply to
bllsht

When these things first came out they were presented as "pollution controls" not "something that maybe will slightly reduce pollution until it wears out or clogs". Now with computer controlled fuel injection and a catalytic converter we find it's not needed at all. "Outatime" quoted something like $60 to replace one, no doubt burning up what you've saved from the slight mileage increase.

New cars still come with A.I.R. pumps?

Incomplete burning produces CO where it should have produced CO2. Poor ignition parts produce incomplete burning which simulates, if you will, an overly rich condition.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

That's not much of a down payment, considering what car's cost now, is it? Heck, it probably just pays for the bill from the recycler's to take the car.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)Hughes III

Catalytic converters "wear out or clog", are they a scam too?

Yes, some do.

Poor ignition parts will result in unburned fuel, causing HC to skyrocket. CO is caused by burning fuel with insufficient O2 available (rich). Ignition problems don't simulate a rich condition.

Next time you take one of your expertly tuned vehicles in for a smog check, close up the gap on one of the plugs to create a less than optimal spark. I guarantee it won't fail for high CO.

Reply to
bllsht

You have a point there. Seriously, I wonder how much good they do, compared to cost, replacement cost and the amount of pollution that they actually clean up. I convinced that considering net benefit, most pollution controls are next to useless, except PCV/CCV and computerized fuel injection. I wouldn't knowingly disable a pollution control, like most of my neighbors have already done, but I am pretty sure the cat in my Wrangler has puked its guts out through the high performance muffler I have installed. That's why "cat back" performance upgrades are so popular, for letting the big pieces out.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Bill,

I can't believe you're arguing for junking perfectly good, rebuildable or maybe even running engines. I guess you have yours already, huh?

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)Hughes III

It was a hundred when I started driving. Now you have to pay at least a thousand for a rust box on wheels. In Colorado you can at least get plates for it, except if you live in the "clean air program" area.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

LOL. Yeah, I've seen quite a few mufflers fill up with cat guts.

Reply to
bllsht

Why?

Reply to
Pink Freud

Now, if they'd only do the same for you and your methane emissions....

Reply to
Pink Freud

Just look in your driveway and garage.

They're still there.

Mr. Teranews Rides Again!

Reply to
Pink Freud

That's actually a good one, but please go away now, little boy.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Most of my bons mots are good, some quite good, but just me and you'll be a lot happier, Earle.

Of course, you'll also miss some of my rewritten song lyrics done whilst my computer was in the shoppe getting a wee bit more powerful.

But just keep defending Billie, he needs the moral support.

He also needs more physical support, like new support hose, bras, girdles and a new tent to cover his morbid obesity, but that's another chapter entirely.

Now, please do plonk.

I've even ed myself in other groups so I won't pollute them should I err in removing them from Billie's spew.

BTW, it's Leap Year, and you can propose to Billie -- or vice-versa -- should either of you choose to do so. It just depends an who's playing the female rôle at the given time.

Pasta la Vista.

Reply to
Pink Freud