92 Cherokee Limited I6

Hello,

Over the past week I have been driving my father's 92 Cherokee Limited with the Inline 6. The car has about 90k miles and is in pretty good shape. Oil changes and other maintenance are done on schedule.

The problem with the car is that it begins to develop a rough idle with some mild bucking after the engine warms up. The idle is fine when it is cold. The engine also seems to be very rough when turning the car off (almost like it is dieseling).

Any ideas?

Thanks Josh

Reply to
jetterman

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com did pass the time by typing:

Lots. Some of them even good. :]

How old is the ignition system? Plugs/wires/cap/rotor/coil

I'd start cheap and clean the throttle body and Idle Air Passage.

Run-on is hard to do in a fuel-injected vehicle. That can be a leaky injector in combination with carbon buildup.

Bucking when hot in idle can be a failing coil or a timing issue. You might want to check if there was an ignition recall for your Jeep. I just replaced my coil with NAPA IC409. It's a coil and new harness that made one heck of a lot of improvement.

If it's ticking from the distributor, pop the top off and see if you can wiggle it. If the rotor moves side to side then the bushing is shot and you either need to replace the distributor or have a new bushing pressed in. For ref:

Dunno if that year had a EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve but when one of those sticks it cause all sorts of stumble when warm. (my 93ZJ doesn't have one)

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
bronglenn

I concur, I had same symptoms and it was a faulty 02 sensor......JK

Reply to
JRK58