Info on non-US aircooled Beetles

I live in Japan and just bought a Right-Hand Drive (RHD) 1975 Std Beetle w/ torsion bar front suspension (non-SB). The model is a 1200LS w/ 1600cc engine (AS case). Now, I've been reading up on the VW Type1 Beetle for some years now. Mostly in US Magazines and books. Well, now that I own my first non-US Beetle, some of what I have read I need to throw out the window.

My T-1 Beetle has all of the following that are NOT typical of a (US model) 1975 Std Beetle:

- Swing Axel rear suspension (anyone know an easy way to determine if it is long or short axel?)

- 1600cc DP engine w/ carb (34PICT -3) - pretty sure this is stock

- Padded dash w/ 1971 type layout (two speed wiper knob on dash)

- ~1967 style hood w/o fresh air vent

- Front bumper (Mexican VW style) w/ turn signals in the blade

- Front fenders w/o signal holes at the top

- Solid mount bumpers w/o crash/shock absorbers

- Mexican styled "bubble" rear apron

That's just what I've found so far. The pan and body VIN numbers match and look unmolested. I'm sure some of what I am used to are US DOT mandated standards that the rest of the World didn't have to put up with. Of course, some things will be different just because of the RHD model:

- The steering wheel is a LHD model but mounted on the right side of the car. Turn signal on left; ignition key on right.

- The pedal cluster is reversed w/ hooks coming out the left side.

- Brake master cylinder is different (tubes and switches are on the right)

- The front torsion bar axel has the steering box and steering dampener reversed since the wheel is now on the right.

- The wiring harness may be different since the gauges are on the right side of the dash.

Admitedly, one of the previous owners could have swapped out all of this stuff out, but from what little I can tell by browsing thru Japanese VW websites, this is normal for this year. Especially for the tranny. The Std Beetle here in Japan never got the IRS tranny (similar to the Aussey Beetle). Also, up until 1975 the 1200cc engine was still available!! FI wasn't introduced in the Beetle until Jan 1976. Here's a good reference for most model years in Japan:

(sorry, it is in Japanese butyou can work out the years and the pictures).

So, where can I find info on my Beetle? Everything I find seems to be for US Beetles. I know that the largest (only?) importer of aircooled VWs into Japan was a company named Yanase. I'm thinking that the RHD models sold here were the same as other RHD countries... UK, AUS? I've read that AUS was building their own VWs that were a little different than the rest of the World, but the UK was probably getting their straight from Germany.

Any suggestions?

AshMan

Reply to
AshMan

Sounds exactly right, where's the issue. ?? LOL

I too have most of above, but with metal dash and normal Europa style bumpers, and indicators on top of wings. I believe later 70's Mexican beetles in UK sound like yours, generally they seem to be sky blue with black metalwork. But there again, I'm in UK.

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

Thanks James. I was kind of thinking this might be the case. The late model (90's) Mexican Beetles are popular here too, but I get the impression that they are considered "less valuable" than the original German versions. But in the 70's when Beetles were being made "everywhere" I wonder if people were less pickey?

Do you know of a good reference for UK Beetle parts and their interchangeability w/ US parts? Like which turn signal level is the right one for my Beetle? Which wiper switch? I might end up just finding replacements by part number and just hope that I have the proper part already installed.

AshMan

Reply to
AshMan

try these, they have the part numbers as well, not sure about interchangeability though...

James

Reply to
Juper Wort