'93 XJ No spark(Still)

Ok, now the stupid truck has a new crank sensor, and a new cam sensor...and still no spark.

Has power to the coil when cranking, but no ground signal to make coil fire. Swapped coil into the YJ, just to make sure it's good.

read the trouble codes: 12, 11, 76, and 55

Ok, 11 is a no crank signal code. 12 is the battery disconnect code(makes sense, I just changed out the battery a couple of weeks ago) 55 is the "end of codes" code

WTF is a 76? Can't find it in any of the on-lind code lists.

guess I'll hit the shop foreman at the Dodge dealer up and see if I can borrow the service manual for a couple of days.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep YJ ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow

Those codes should come out in numerical order, you might check them again. One other thing you might check: On those motors there is a sensor in the distributor to tell the fuel injection system when to fire which injector (which is coupled with the crank position sensor for other timing issues). I had to find a Jeep technical bulletin which essential said to cut off one ear on the distributor and turn it slightly. The timing comes from the crank sensor for this so it won't advance or retard the timing like it used to on older engines. I can't find the link to the note, but you could do a search for it. It's a very easy fix if this is it. This problem is most common after a camshaft change, but it could happen on stock engines based on what the technical note said. Later, Troy

Reply to
Jeep Guy

Yup, the Hall effect switch in the dist is the first one that got changed...then I changed the crank sensor. $100+ spent on parts and still no spark. All fuses good(checked them a 3rd time last night), coil tested and verified to work, cap and rotor fairly new, fuel pump runs...just no damned spark. Can't find an ignition module...I guess it's internal to the computer?

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep YJ ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow

Have you tested the HT Lead from Distributor to Coil ?

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ Sahara

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ Sahara

Reply to
Dave Milne

I would run a booster cable from the battery negative to the firewall and see if I got spark. A corroded ground can cause that. There is a sneaky mesh one from the back of the head to the firewall that likes to rot away.

I thought my CPS was going from the stalls and final up and quit, but it was that mesh cable.

You also might have a ceramic ballast resistor on the driver's side fender or on the firewall somewhere. If this gets a bad connection, it can interfere with the spark. It can be disconnected and the two wires hooked together to test it and run it for a while even. The ballast resistor just lowers the voltage to the fuel pump, but if not working some sensor triggers and you get no spark.

Mike

Old Crow wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Violence is not going to get you anywhere, try asking him politely.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Well, I tried it your way. got the books, took them home, and ran the NS-1 No Start trouble tree. Seems the PCM is no good. I'm going to do some further checking of power and grounds this weekend, as I don't have the spare $180 at the moment anyway. My last Cherokee went 265,000 miles with not a problem one(electronically speaking), this one only has like 145,000 and already it's going to shit. Oh, well, I picked up my spare car from the kid's house last night, so at least now I can get my YJ back from the ol' lady.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep YJ ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow

Just a follow-up for you guys.

Found a used PCM at a wrecking yard...$125. Much better than the $700 the dealer wanted(apparently there's not a re-man available for the '83 with a manual trans). Took it home, plugged it in, and lo and behold my wife's XJ is back on the road. She's a happy camper, as she had just filled the tank the day before it quit, and now she gets to use up all that gas.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep YJ Rio Grande ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow

Yea, thats the last thing I would have suspected. Obviously it was the last thing you tried too :) KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

I wasn't too impressed, I'll tell you. I've worked for GM for so long that I'm used to seperate ignition modules and computers. On GM, a no spark situation with power to the coil would almost automatically be the crank sensor. The article I was pointed to on the net said much the same thing about the Jeep. Imagine my chagrin when that did nothing for me. Imagine my wife's chagrin when she found I'd replaced $100 worth of good parts :-( Oh well, live and learn...bet I won't be fooled by this again.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep YJ Rio Grande ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow

Actually, I did that. Also took a VOM and checked the voltage drop on all the grounds and checked the power and ground circuits to the PCM. Then, after borrowing the service manual from the Dodge dealer and spending about 20 minutes running through thier toubleshooting charts, I went out and bought a PCM for it. Runs great now...just have to work over the front end to get rid of the "death wobble" and replace a cracked windshield and the truck will be in good shape. Of course, in the meantime, my wife has seen the Quadra-tec catalog for Cherokee's, so I might have more to do than I suspect. :-)

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep YJ Rio Grande ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow

I saw a hot-rod show on Discover this past weekend where the built a hot rod from the ground up... their engine wouldn't start. Turns out they left the rotor out. DOH

Reply to
Joe