Speedo

Ok, so I finally found MY jeep. An 82 CJ-8! It has a 4" lift and 33" tires. The speedometer is way off. How do I get it at least close? Any ideas?

Reply to
MFM JOS

L.W.(ßill)

There is a speedometer gear inside the transfer case that you can change that will correct the speedometer. Unfortunately, I don't know CJ transfer cases well enough to give you much more advise than that. In my Wrangler TJ, I can change the speedometer gear in the transfer case in under 5 minutes. Maybe your CJ will be as easy.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

How do you do it on your TJ? Where is this gear? I've been needing to change mine out for quite some time but been putting it off. I have a

97 TJ with 33" tires and 3.55 diff gears (which I want to change but won't be doing for a while yet) with the stock TJ txfr case and tranny.

Thanks

Reply to
Bob

Reply to
twaldron

You need to determine your axle ratio, then you can calculate the correct gear using any of the gear calculators that are sure to be posted in the Replies that followed your post.

For my money, you got screwed, and shold park that pile of junk in front of my house, and just walk away. It will bring you nothing by heartache and misery. Let me deal with the trouble for you.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Follow the rear drive shaft into the Tcase. The very first electrical connector yhou come to is the speed sensor. Remove the bolt that holds it on and replace the gear that is inside.

Notice while it is off, there are numbers embossed in the case, these numbers are the number of teeth on the gear. The tcase has a line on it that will point to the number corresponding with the tooth count on your gear. GENTLY twist the speed sensor assembly and the tcase output to get the teeth to mesh, then put the mounting bolt back in.

FOR THE ORIGINAL POSTER Your D300 tcase works the same way.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I want to thank everyone who replied. You were all very helpful, even the guy who called it a "pile of junk" and offered to "let" me leave at his house. Nice try, but I think I'll hold on to it for a while.

Does anyone have a good source for these gears? I've checked a couple of the mail order places, (quadratec, perfomance), and they don't seem to have them. I haven't called the dealer yet.

I do have one other potential issue. Did AMC offer this vehicle with a 5 speed tranny? Mine has one, and I haven't seen anything talking about the 5 speeds. So that might throw a wrench in things, if I have to figure out where this one came from.

mfm

Reply to
MFM JOS

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Damn it! I really thought the ploy would work this time.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

A friend has an 82 and it has the 5 speed, so does my 86.

The spedo gear goes in the T-case where the spedo cable hooks in though, so the tranny isn't an issue at all.

Mike

MFM JOS wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain