93 ZJ AC - drier receiver

Where is the drier receiver located - and - it is hard to replace? Apparently it's leaking. My shop manual doesn't seem to call it out.

Thanks...

-curtis

Reply to
Curtis

The accumulator is located in the engine compartment on the right (passenger) side. It is a round, tall, black tank mounted about half way between the battery and the firewall.

Dick

Reply to
Dick

Replacement of AC components involves evacuation of the system, followed by recharging with refrigerant. The recommended way to do this is with a charging station. The shadetree method doesn't require a charging station, but it does at least require a vacuum pump.

Actual replacement of the drier receiver, well that is the easy part.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

OK I was wondering if what the manual called the accumulator was the same thing. Apparently my system is completely empty so I was thinking I could swap out the part, then take it in for a charge...

thanks...

Reply to
Curtis

Curtis did pass the time by typing:

The accumulator is under a recall from Jeep. Check to see if your unit is still covered.

the passenger fender well.

Reply to
DougW

Hey thanks - I've been checking out your sway bar bushing improvements as well....

Reply to
Curtis

Curtis did pass the time by typing:

I'm amazed how much that helped. Problem is they don't last for ever.

If you have the V8 you have a larger front bar. Make sure you get the correct part number.

Next time around I'm going to get some greasable ones (or drill the ones I have for zerks) They squeek too damn much in the winter. :)

Reply to
DougW

While the system is discharged is a good time to replace all the O-rings. I have had people call this silly, because it adds to the labor charge, but it can add years to the time that the system stays charged. Once you replace the O-rings and the accumulator, about the only thing that is likely to go wrong, leak-wise, are the compressor seals. It would be a shame to take the vehicle in for service at the start of next year's AC season, over an O-ring gone bad.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

It was the O-rings (seals) in the compressor head that was the biggest problem with leaks in our '93 ZJ (after the evaporator was replaced.) Once that was done correctly, we haven't had a problem since.

Dick

Reply to
Dick