Defrost air doesn't....

.....blow against the windshield. When I turn it on I hear a flap drop or something and then the air is blocked it seems.....while the blower keeps working the other vents. Had it in at the stealer's and they wanted 995 of my hard earned dollars to correct the problem.....yep $995. I told them to go f#^k themselves and then commenced to get mad. Any ideas on a fix for this? '97 TJ Sahara TIA Cliff

Reply to
Klif

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me.

Reply to
camerondawes

It isn't a vacuum leak. I have a 97 Tj also, it does the same thing. The dealership has to actually replace the whole unit behind the dash. (Load of bullsh$*) If you go under the dash, on the drivers side, you will notice that the sound of the flap slaming shut is because there is a rod missing that is suppose to hold it open. I know this sounds cheesy, but I used a hanger rod. Cut it to length and send it down one of the holes down the defrost by the window to hold open the door. that way air blows on the windshield so it doesn't fog up. I really don't know how to fix this problem yet. This summer I plan on taking apart the dash and pulling the air duct apart and figure out what the rod is, how it should look like and what made it malfunction. If you find anything out, due tell.

Reply to
markdgordon2002

markdgordon2002 did pass the time by typing:

Sounds to me like a vac motor has died or the hose has cracked.

I'd probably start by taking the vac switch out from the dash and testing all the hoses with a vac pump/gauge (just don't go above

10in of vac, safer on the components) That leak test will give you an idea where the problem is.

Your gonna need the schematic though. I don't have one for your application.

It is rare for the switch to fail. Most often it's a rubber L that connects the hard lines to the vac motors.

Some times it is an actuator arm that cracks or even an internal spring that gives out.

Reply to
DougW