93 ZJ - Fuel Gauge

Hi Folks,

When the fuel gauge of my 93 ZJ indicates 1/4 tank remains, it is in fact empty! I wonder if the adjustment is at the instrument panel side or around the fuel tank area? Any hint to make the adjustment is welcome.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Reply to
Bogey Buster

Thanks Earle,

I might not be clear enough in my initial post. When I fill up a full tank, the fuel gauge needle actually go pass the "F" mark. That is the reason why I "think" adjustment is necessary.

Thanks for the tips about recording mileage per average tank. By the way, can you tell me where about is the "sender" that you mentioned.

thanks again.

Paul

93 ZJ V8

Reply to
Bogey Buster

This is generally a broken sender unit. No adjustment. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

You figure out how many miles you generally get from a full tank, and then you start using the trip meter every time you fill up. It becomes second nature. I know. You can also train yourself to write down the fuel and mileage every time you fill up, in a notebook. Then you can figure your fuel mileage.

I suppose you could replace the sender unit.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

It could be bent. as the float on a wire like a toilet float. and it can happen easily on installation a twisting action to get into it's own anti slush tank. Often the problem is the float hangs on that inner tank at about a quarter, after being bent on an attempted installation. Have fun! God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0 mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Actually I have the exact opposite problem in my 92 XJ. When I fill up the needle rests at about 7/8ths of a tank and I've driven it well below empty. (Hey, I'm in college.) It seems like I could just reach behind the panel and twist the dial 1/8th of a turn (actually less) but I don't know if this is an instrument panel issue or a tank gauge issue.

Reply to
wfpearson

In the "good old days" these things had an adjustment. Now it is a part of the fuel pump, expensive, and you have to drop the fuel tank to get at it. They don't give you a way to adjust it either. I can remember on my '64 Valiant driving around until I was at 1/4 tank. Then I could jack up the rear of the car and pull out the sender unit without any trouble, fiddle with it, and drive off in less than twenty minutes. I think I actually managed to get it adjusted better than it had been too.

It's a lot more involved now, what with having to drop the tank.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

It can also be a dirty connector at the harness back by the fuel tank. The fuel gauge is very sensitive to a bad connection.

Reply to
DougW

Thank you everyone.

I will try to talk with the installer, CanadianTire, to claim any possible warranty.

Thanks again

Paul

Reply to
Bogey Buster