93 zj seatbelts...

hey all...wondering about the seat belt retractors in my 93 ZJ. For the life of me I can't get the seatbelt to stop - like you'd want in a crash - even if I pull out completely I can't get the retractor to engage...

I think they are shot but wondering if the retracting mechanism engages differently - I don't know...?

So if I need new retractors is it a hard fix??

thanks much, c

Reply to
Curtis

There isn't a pull/catch feature on the mechanisim like there is on some that are made for child seats.

If your trying to test the seatbelts to see if they will hold in a crash, you have to do that on a really bumpy or fairly steep downhill trail while applying a bit of body weight to the belts. The catch mechanisim relies on deceleration like you get in an emergency stop. It's not much, dropping off a curb can sometimes make them catch.

Replacing the unit isn't hard, it just takes a big ass star driver to remove the bolts. And a screwdriver to remove all the cladding that surrounds the workings.

Reply to
DougW

OK I can live without the pull catch for the baby seat as I can use the middle lap belt - but yes I was trying to see if they would hold in a crash..

I'll go find some curbs!! Thanks again Doug for the info...

update - I got spooked on swapping out my drier receiver - I could never get a straight answer if my system was discharged or not - so I had the shop do it - and now the rig is a friken cooler - wow...

still gotta get those front sway bar bushings - gotta figure out what size my sway bar is with the V8.

new baby at home so time is limited....:)

DougW wrote:

Reply to
Curtis

If your has the inertia reels they will lock when your perform a firm (quick) stop.

When you are out on a *clear* roadway brake *sharply* from 35 mph or so. When you feel the deceleration try pulling the seatbelt out. It should grab and lock and not release until after you come to a complete stop.

Reply to
billy ray

There is a recall/TSB for the rear seatbelts and baby carrier hold-downs. Have the dealership check your VIN to see if they have been done.

is another site but this one works just as well.

Yep, 93 had a problem with those. Might have been a recall at one point.

28mm probably. Hard to tell because they had three sizes. I6, V8 and towing group. Got my bushing kit at 4wheel parts.
DougW