94 wrangler frame rot concern

bad news. the right rear frame is pretty badly rotted - about the last 8-10 inches, right where the back of the rear spring attaches. I've seen many posts about poor quality frame repairs and am concerned a bit wether or not this is repairable. I also worry about the other areas that may be rotted that I haven't found yet. There is also some rust on the body - need new floor board on drivers side along with a tail gate and a few holes in the side panels. The bumpers are rusted as well, although it's just surface rust at this point. Sometimes I hate living in a northern climate!

I stopped at the shop today. They "guessed" around $500 to repair the frame. I'm considering dropping it off for them to do a proper estimate as well as check out the integrity of the remainder of the frame. I'm afraid of the estimate! I'm guessing in the $1,000 - $2,000 range at this point.

Before I go further, I'd thought I float this here - take advantage of all the knowledge in this group. I really like the thing, but I don't want to throw good money at a lost cause. When do you decide to let the rust win?

Thanks for any thoughts or comments.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Heh, I was gonna say the same thing. New frames can be had for under $2k, that is a good springboard for a nice project.

Juice

Reply to
Jerry Newton

Hi Doug. Let us know what the results are and if you have any pics that would help give us some insight and we could also comment on how bad we think it is. I also have a 1994 YJ which I bought last year with 189000 miles on it. I took care of rust on the bumpers and some parts of the frame. I still want to do more but I also have to find the time for it. Anyway. I would be curious how you make out.

BTW, I live in Eastern PA and of course I know what you mean about the rust belt.

Reply to
Peter Parker

This rig may not be worth saving. I'd do a very thorough ":hammer" check of the frame all over.

Seems unusual to hear of a YJ with this much frame rot, as opposed to CJs, they really got a good zinc-dip during manufacturing.

Are there any other bad spots of rot on this thing?

Reply to
Jerry McG

floor boards, a few holes here & there. I'm going to go over the frame a bit closer after work today. I'll try the "hammer" check, as well as a "screwdriver" check someone else suggested. I'll throw a few pictures up on my "new" site later today or tomorrow.

Thanks!

Reply to
Doug

What's the mileage on this YJ? The original owner of my YJ told me that he was rear-ended a few years ago and that helped me find out why I could see rust happening in the rear.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Nope. not enough rust. besides, its the wrong color :)

Reply to
Doug
97,500 miles. I believe I'm the third owner. I know that it was re-painted at least one in its lifetime. The quality of the job seems pretty good - no peeling, flaking or orange peel, so I assume they took the time to prep it properly. No signs of an accident that would explain all the rust.

Reply to
Doug

My 86 CJ7 is rotted back there too. Big time. The cross member is even falling off and the gas tank skid plate fell off while I was off roading.

A Jeep shop said he can just put square tube over pieces and weld them in place, then put the shackle hanger on it.

I snapped my frame due to rust up front on the drivers side behind the front spring hanger and he angle plated it nicely. It is holding sweet.

I need a new frame..... :-(

But the band aids will keep me wheeling for now.....

Mike

Doug wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Na. Bill doesn't know the difference between an TJ and a YJ from the ass end. :-) He has to see it from the front to be dangerous. :)

This TJ looks creamed from the rear and the side. The original owner got hit in the rear on my YJ. Oh yea, wrong color, right. :)

Reply to
Peter Parker