94YJ overheating?

Within the past few days I've noticed the temp gauge has gone up to about

250 and fluxuates between there and 235. The engine overheating light has not come on and there seems to be no other problems. There is abundant coolant and everything else seems fine. Is this a thermostat or possible water pump problem? Thanks H-S-F
Reply to
help-slip-franklin

thermal fan clutch? Replacing that in my TJ solved my problem.

I also cleaned all the oily goop off the fan when I had it off. All that extra weight causes the fan to become unbalanced killing the bearings in the water pump and fan clutch.

Look for streaks going outward from the center of the fan.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

Seeing a fellow DH, I have to ask if your coolant moves across the top of your radiator when you take the cap off then let it warm up. You may have to rev the engine a bit to see this. The 'stat can be checked by boiling it, but if you take it out to test it, you might as well might as well replace it before you go 'round that bend!

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

I would check the fan clutch first. If you heat up the engine, the fan clutch gets very stiff and will stop the fan almost instantly when the engine shuts down. If it continues to spin when hot, it is worn out.

Once off, you should not be able to make it spin with a hard finger push when hot.

You also might want to clean the sender's connection. It is on the top back corner of the head with a single purple wire going to it.

Mike

Mike Romain